Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Posole Party

One of the very best things about life in California is the Mexican food. I am frequently grateful that Alta California retains some of the flavors we learned from those in Baja California and points south.

A case in point is the posole I tried at a recent gathering of some Bay area bloggers. My Beloved and I were pleased and flattered to be invited to join the likes of Dagny, Rev. Biggles, Cookiecrumb and Cranky at Cazuelas Mexican Grill to slurp my very first bowl of posole.

This is hearty fare, as broad shouldered as MB and an interesting blend of long-simmered ingredients and fresh flavors. Note that my spoon didn't sink into this soup - it's as "beefy" as the guys in the gym across the hall from Cazuelas in the 24 Hour Fitness, another reason why some readers may want to check out this restaurant. Oh, my!

I enjoyed the deep, rich porkiness given by the carnitas in the soup and the hearty starchiness of the hominy (although I might even have enjoyed sweet corn in the soup even more), as well as the offerings of fresh shredded cabbage, sliced radishes and chopped onion to be added to taste.

Not to mention the colorful eye candy of a rich, dark rust colored soup served in a school bus yellow bowl. I can't vouch for the other offerings at Cazuelas but the posole was deeply satisfying on several levels.

I think I'll go back next Cinco de Mayo to say thanks again to Mexico for their delicious cuisine!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

So glad that you enjoyed the posole.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Dagny was right. I shoulda got the posole.
I loved my chile verde, but mygod, there were a lot of fat globs on the meat.
What a fun day with you all!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, not only the soup but the chance to meet you other bloggers. Hope to have a deeper conversation at the housewarming!

Cookie, indeed it was! Looking forward to trading peaches for pears - my tree is just now ripening and there are some gigundous ones on there!

Tuesday, August 14, 2007  
Blogger Anita (Married... with dinner) said...

Oh, man -- that looks gorgeous. I need to make posole soon. It seems so perfect for cold weather, but I'm craving it. And I think I even have some already-soaked kernels in the freezer. Hmmm...

Wednesday, August 15, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anita, I agree that posole is perfect for cold weather - but then summer in SF isn't exactly warm, is it? :-)

Thursday, August 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home