Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cheese Pairing

Here's a snapshot of my childhood. My mother, in an attempt to give us healthy snacks, invented the combination of cottage cheese and apple butter. Or maybe it was just what she had in the fridge that day when I was whining about being hungry. In any case, it has been with me for as long as I can remember and it's a little weird but delicious.

Any cottage cheese will do and any apple butter but I'm partial to non-fat cottage cheese and this brand of apple butter that I found at a farmer's market and have been ordering from them by mail ever since. The label looks a little ratty but it's not Four K Farms' fault - I smeared it when I was wiping a dribble off the jar. I call up Mrs. Four K (sorry, don't know her real name) from time to time and order six more jars.

I'd characterize this as comfort food. I usually only eat it now when My Beloved is out of town - no cooking and it's non-fussy. Thanks, Mom!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

In elementary school I attended a daycare that served cottage cheese and yogurt for breakfast. These were the safe things to consume. Needless to say, I developed a love of plain cottage cheese followed by a helping of strawberry yogurt.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love milky products. I like young cheese best, it still tastes milky.
As for the apple butter, I'm going to challenge you to make your own.
OR!! Pear butter? Hmm???

Wednesday, August 22, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, give the apple butter a try - I think you might like it!

Cookie, now, why would I make it when I can buy it so easily? And Four K Farms are so nice... Now, _pear_ butter, that's a whole different story - have you tried it with your surfeit of pears?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home