Sunday, August 19, 2007

Duck Liver Mousse Pate' a la Fatted Calf

What has a multi-hued fish to do with duck liver mousse? The platter looks like this pate' tastes, richly and maybe even a bit aggressively colorful.

My newfound blogger friend, Dr. (or is it Rev?) Biggles sent me to the Berkeley Farmer's Market to buy some of this from the Fatted Calf. Dutiful as I always am, I did so, brought it home and was wowed, even as I unwrapped it, by the enticing scent.

If you think pate' is a mincing, effete food, this pate' will change your mind. This stuff is bold, robust and manly with a distinctly salty and liver-y flavor. The texture is a smooth as a baby's butt and literally melts in your mouth. My beloved and I ate almost the entire square at a single sitting and then had to wait three hours before becoming even remotely hungry for dinner.

Talking it over after the food coma lifted, we thought we might like it even better served on cucumber rounds with a little chopped hardboiled egg and minced red onion on top but even plain on a cracker this is the Fauve palette of pates, an explosion of color.

9 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

OK. Now I guess I'll get my butt out of bed one Saturday morning and check it out -- once I am gainfully employed again. Or have found a sugar daddy.

Sunday, August 19, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

Yeah, ain't that stuff great?

Next up? Do some crepinettes. Oh yes.

Dagny? No workie? In one respect, it sounds kinda nice. But then on the flip side, no pate. This can't be tolerated for much longer. You need to work harder on that trust fund deal.

Biggles

Monday, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Anita (Married... with dinner) said...

It's "The Rev. Dr. Biggles" :)

So glad you've been brought into the fatted calf fraternity. if you think the pate is amazing, wait until you have the bacon.

Monday, August 20, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

Anita, yup! The Good Rev. Dr. Biggles should work just fine.

Uh, yeah ... the bacon. And the roasts, don't forget about the roasts. Or stuffed quail, those are fine little ones as well. Oh dear, and I believe I'm on my last jar of Sugo.

Biggles

Monday, August 20, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, don't look for a Sugar Daddy - they aren't worth the aggravation! :-) What kind of work are you looking for? I'll let you know if I see anything interesting if you let me know what you are seeking.

Rev, okay, next visit I'll ask for crepinettes. No idea what those are but you haven't steered me wrong yet!

Anita, yes, had the bacon yesterday morning. Stay tuned for rave review!

Rev, okay, I'll bite, what's Sugo?

Monday, August 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I originally included this on my food scavenger hunt list, but at some point changed it to just generic "duck pate" for fear that I was being too demanding. Now I wish I had left the more specific requirement.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evlmprs, you did well to leave it off - our team would never have found it! :-)

Wednesday, August 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I am going to rise early and find my foggy way to the Berkeley Farmer's Market. Where is it?

Zoomie, you are not being fair to my Curves shape.

momo

Saturday, August 25, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Momo, click on the link in my post and it will show you when and where the Berkeley market is. If you come on a Saturday, let's meet for breakfast in Berkeley after!

Monday, August 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home