Monday, August 20, 2007

He Bit a Bit of Better Bacon

On the advice of our new friend Rev. Dr. Biggles from Meathenge, I visited the Berzerkeley Farmer's Market last week with meat in mind. Biggles opined that bacon from Fatted Calf couldn't be bettered. Biggles is a guy who knows his meat, so I took him at his word and snagged two packages.

My Beloved and I cooked up the bacon this morning to complement the Belgian waffles and fruit we made for brunch with cousins J-Yah and S.

No wonder it's a hit with Biggles! This is without exception the meatiest bacon I've ever eaten. Mountain man bacon. Muscular bacon. Lightly smoky and mildly salty, it's almost like fried ham.

If you like crispy, crunchy bacon, you probably won't go for this brand since its meatiness makes it almost impossible to crisp without burning. But if you like lean bacon with a nice balance of salt and smoke, you're gonna love this stuff. There are a few pieces left from breakfast that I'm sure will make a memorable BLT one of these days.

Biggles is a boy who knows his bacon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

It is so hard to get good bacon over here, I do envy you.

Monday, August 20, 2007  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You're on a slippery slope, Zoomie, messin' with that Biggles. Next thing you know, you'll be curing your own pork belly.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007  
Blogger meathenge said...

Oh poo, just turn down yer heat and blot well with a paper towel. It crisps up just fine. And if you're lucky you got a package with the rind on. A ribbon of skin on one side that turns in to a bacon explosion in your mouth, POW !!! POW !!!

I think I'll be bringing some bacon with me on Saturday.

Biggles

Tuesday, August 21, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

dmm, I'm surprised! Have you tried farmer's markets?

cookie, I know, I know, but he knows his meat! No fear of curing my own, however, when it's right there at the market!

rev, while I didn't drop your name, I think they knew you had sent me so they gave me the best!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home