Friday, August 24, 2007

My Pal BART

I've been thinking this week about being more energy efficient and noticing little things that bug me. The water cooler/heater at work that is plugged in 24/7 to make a few cold bottles of water and hot cups of tea per day. The shredder - same deal, it's rarely turned off even though it's shredding about 2 minutes a day.

As I've written before, I'm hanging out my wash to save using the dryer. I've been going around turning off lights in unused spaces and feeling pretty smug. In fact, I'm in serious danger of becoming a pain in the patootie.

But, the part of my energy savings that gives me the most pleasure is my friend BART. For five years, I commuted by car to the wonderful little school, The San Francisco Art Institute. The work was great and the students were terrific but the commute by automobile was awful, staring for nearly two hours a day at the bumper ahead of me. Thank heavens for NPR or I'd have been a basket case by the end of the five years I worked there.

Imagine my delight when my new job returned me to the loving arms of BART! Now, my hour commute is spent reading, relaxing and, occasionally, napping. My fellow riders are a pleasure, too - we recognize and greet each other, exchanging stories about ailing relatives or grumbling companionably about the weather or our work. My commute is now a pleasure and I feel pretty good to be using only one tank of gas every two months or so. If you're near a BART line and haven't tried it, you're missing a chance to reduce your carbon footprint while decreasing your blood pressure.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Is BART light rail? I'm a big fan of the Sydney light rail, they call it "tram" but it's really a wee electric train.
It's lovely, isn't it, the delightful smug feeling you get from a good commute?

Friday, August 24, 2007  
Blogger Dagny said...

I have always been a fan of public transportation. When I last worked in SF, I either took BART, the express bus, or casual carpool -- usually the bus or the carpool because they cost less than BART. Part of the reason that I live where I do now is because I can walk to BART. And next weekend plenty of people can feel that BART love since the bridge will be closed.

Friday, August 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am switching out my light bulbs with the spiral long life ones as they burn out and I am told that is saving me a ton on electricity. I have been doing this for 2 years and have never had to replace one of the new ones yet.

Friday, August 24, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

dmm, yes BART is a sort of electric light rail. I'm a fan!

dagny, yes, it will be a headache for sure when the Bay Bridge closes over Labor Day Weekend. BART will be running 24/7 that weekend and one surely hopes folks will use it!

tulsamom, good on you! Every little bit helps, doesn't it?

Friday, August 24, 2007  
Blogger julia said...

Indeed petit à petit we, the little guys, can make a difference. No drier here, my clothes smell of sunshine and flowers and, occasionally, I get a bee in my tights, better than in my bonnet I guess???

Sunday, August 26, 2007  
Blogger Zoomie said...

mouse, not sure I'd prefer the bee in the tights to under the bonnet but I heartily endorse the dryer-less drying! Brava!

Monday, August 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home