Monday, August 26, 2013

At Least One

Every summer, no matter what the weather, I simply must have one of these. There is no better summer sandwich on earth than a BLT. It's magic.

This one was made with bread I made myself, sliced a little thinly, and toasted lightly, tomatoes that volunteered in my garden and actually ripened, and Niman Ranch twice-smoked bacon, a new product that My Beloved found at our local market. I love it when he goes shopping because he has zero sales resistance and always brings home something new, while I just stick to my list. This time, it was the deeply smoky, thickly sliced, perfect-for-a-summer-BLT bacon. A very nice find if you like smoky, as we do.

Before summer leaves, make sure you've had at least one, to fortify you against the coming days of chilly weather and no ripe tomatoes.


8 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Woo woo! Your own bread and tomatoes!
We're having our first BLT today, with some scrumptious Belcampo bacon.

Monday, August 26, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

Umm good! I had a BLT for breakfast!

Monday, August 26, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Mine "must have" is BLT on Acme Italian Bread, heirloom tomatoes and home made mayo. "We" are so lucky to have all 3 at Chez Nancy.

Monday, August 26, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you said it! I should try Belcampo bacon - next time!

Greg, that's a new one on me - BLT for breakfast - but I think the idea is brilliant.

Nancy, home made mayo, huh? I just use the one with the blue lid, but I like your refinement.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Eggs, olive oil, lemon juice with a drop or two of vinegar...I learned from Julia Child many ages ago and I remain faithful to her teaching. Plus, well, I don't eat much mayo so it's not a problem making it once in a while. Plus I like the ritual. It calms my monkey mind.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I have several of Julia's books, so will check it out!

Tuesday, August 27, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

True story, you guys: There is Thirty-Second Mayonnaise. I've seen it on a video. It really works, though I haven't tried it myself. Just Google 30-second mayonnaise.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I saw the video - that's amazing! Definitely going to try it now! Thanks!

Tuesday, August 27, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home