Monday, August 12, 2013

At Last

When we left on vacation, my volunteer tomato plant had produced fruit, but they were hard and green, sullenly refusing to ripen in our sparse sunshine this summer. I knew how it felt - I was wearing socks under my flipflops and sweaters over my tshirts and wondering when summer was going to arrive.

While we were away, however, something magical happened. We returned to one of my favorite times of year - ripe tomato time!

First, we went up to retrieve Cora from the dog ranch where she spends time running around with other doggie pals, and stopped in to have brunch with cousin Jan while we were in the neighborhood. Petaluma gets more sun than we do, so Jan's tomato plants are at least 3x larger than mine and she gave us two tomatoes so ripe they were downright sweet. That's one of hers at the top of the picture, a deeper shade of scarlet than mine.

When we got home, I went out to check on the garden and, lo and behold!, I had red tomatoes, too!  Cue Etta James.

Now, how to use these first few?  We ate one of Jan's in a simple salad, and it was sublime - so sweet and juicy that I was reminded it's not a vegetable, it's a fruit. I have some tomato sandwiches in mind, of course, and a caprese salad, and probably one of these. I hope the rest of them ripen fast, because I have big plans now that summer has arrived - at last!

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I've never had a volunteer tomato! Then again, you must have let a 'mater fall to the earth and left it there. I've never done that either.
I have a little pink globe on one of my plants out there. It's not a San Marzano, like we thought we were buying, but it might be ripe. Eee!

Monday, August 12, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I just left on the ground what the slugs didn't eat and "voilà!" we had a couple of volunteers. I plan to do this every year and see what comes up. :-)

Tuesday, August 13, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

We have the same experience here. All of sudden lots!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, happy days are here again! :-)

Wednesday, August 14, 2013  
Blogger Diane said...

I love them just sliced with some sea salt when they are this juicy and sweet. Wonderful tomato tales. And a ranch for Cora...I would be so happy to find such a place for Karma when we go away.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, I had to do lots of research to find Cora's dog ranch, but it was worth it for the peace of mind. She doesn't love being separated from us, but she does thrive there.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home