Monday, August 5, 2013

Credit Where Its Due

Lunch has become an awful lot of fun lately. Usually, meals around here are independent things - he has breakfast, I don't. He likes lots of protein for lunch - I prefer less.  So, when we are home together, breakfast and lunch are free form - we each make what tickles our fancy from whatever provisions are in the fridge on any given day.

But, lately, we've been making soft tacos for lunch and that's easier when we are both in the kitchen, one warming the tortillas and the other chopping up the ingredients. We have a pretty good kitchen ballet going, rarely bumping into each other or dodging hot pans or knives. When we do bump butts, it's intentional and friendly.

Last week, we wanted a change of pace, so we made quesadillas. I got some organic Monterey Jack cheese at the market and we had a little corn salad left from our Roli Roti chicken run so we decided to combine those and see what we thought.

The corn salad is sold on the Roli Roti truck and My Beloved brought home a container two weeks ago and we declared it to be a winner. It's made with fresh corn kernels, minced red onion, cilantro, avocado, and jalapeño. It's mildly spicy and really quite delicious. I'm sure it would be easy to make at home but it's even easier to buy it when we get our weekly chicken.

To make the quesadillas, we laid tortillas in a wide pan over medium heat, topped them with slices of cheese and topped those with a sprinkling of the corn salad and a hearty dash of hot sauce. Cover until the cheese begins to melt and run - just a few minutes - then slide onto a plate as you would an omelet, folding the tortilla in half as it hits the plate. I used the bottom of the skillet to gently smash the quesadilla until the cheese ran out the sides.

My Beloved complimented me on the lunch and I had to give credit where it's due. When I told him that Cookiecrumb gave me the idea for this combination a week or two ago, he exclaimed, "Thank you, Cookiecrumb!" and took another big bite.

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Aren't you sweet! Both of you. Your quesadilla sounds better than mine. I was just asking Cranky to be on the lookout for the corn salad at the market, and he said "I'll just make some."
!!!!

Monday, August 05, 2013  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

We're pretty independent with our breakfast and lunch, too. Lately we've been going on bike rides and I pack a picnic... I've found the most wonderful whole grain 'wraps'.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookie dumb, his will likely be better, too.

Katiez, have fun "wrapping" up your picnic fare.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookie, sorry for not catching the "correction"

Wednesday, August 07, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

Nice! Easy and tasty.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home