Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Luxury Item

Last week, My Beloved and I schlepped out to San Remote for a meeting and, while we were in the Blackhawk area, we stopped at Draeger's Market to see how the other half lives.  We enjoy skimming through fancypants markets like this, just to see what's different from our own favorite, somewhat more downscale, markets.

This time, we spied a tub of truffle butter, quite pricey but then, what the heck? What fun we could have with this $10 purchase!  The package had several suggestions for ways to use it, so we popped it into our basket and called ourselves lucky to get out of there for less than ten smackers.

Last night, we had pasta bathed in truffle butter and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Highly recommended, although I think we skimped a little on the butter. We used the wide, flat pappardelle pasta, tossing it hot into a bowl with the butter before sprinkling with Parm. Even with minimal butter, it was deeply savory and earthy. Happily, there is always a next time when we can slather on some more.

This morning, I made My Beloved an omelet with truffle butter to grease the pan, and buttered his English muffins with it. He was in truffle heaven - head down, silent, fork flying - that's how I can tell he's fully engaged with his breakfast.

My next experiment will be truffle buttered toast under poached eggs. Stand by.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

wonderful how one special ingredient can turn the ordinary into WOW. looking forward to the next installment.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, truffle butter. Mais oui.
I searched my blog for some possible uses for you, and my favorite was macaroni and cheese, with truffle butter and Dungeness crab. The "cheese" was cream and some cream cheese. Swanky swoon.
Hm! You could have looked at Draeger's for real cream cheese. Crab, too, but it's probably out of season.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, it is a fun new addition.

Cookiecrumb, big wow! Why didn't I think of that?

Thursday, August 01, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I found a recipe for asparagus with truffle butter. There is no end of ideas for this-it's just amazing to me that we haven't figure out how to grow them in a less sporadic manner. But sometimes Mother Nature keeps her secrets.

Thursday, August 01, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, truffles grow on the roots of (I think) oak trees. Hard for s farmer to organize that and make a profit. Yes to asparagus with truffle butter.

Sunday, August 04, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home