Thursday, July 18, 2013

Vive La Révolution!

While I am usually pretty loyal to tradition, every now and then I feel the need to heave out the old order, change up the game, and try something a little different. Because that happened this year on Bastille Day, I decided it was the Salade Niçoise that was due for a change.

Who ever heard of mahimahi, prosciutto, and grilled corn on the cob in a Salade Niçoise?  In France until quite recently, corn was food only for pigs, not for humans. I can almost hear the gasps of dismay from loyal Francophiles. And avocado?  Heresy! 

But I had a gorgeous piece of mahimahi left from my brother's gift and a small package of prosciutto that I thought would look pretty folded into the empty spaces on the plate. And if the French could grow avocados, I know it would be the national fruit. Who doesn't love avocado? Even the French couldn't be so contrary.

I kept with tradition to a certain extent - soft lettuce lining the plate, poached cold asparagus spears as thin as a French woman, puckery cornichons, zingy picholine olives, colorful cherry tomatoes, a driz of balsamic vinaigrette - but I curried my deviled eggs and grilled an ear of corn rather than adding a potato salad.

I'm not sure that a loyalist would even call this a Salade Niçoise. Maybe it's a Salade de la Révolution, or a Salade Americaine, since it includes a big mix of nationalities. Whatever you want to call it, it was the perfect ending to a warm, sunny afternoon of gardening.


5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Fresh!

Thursday, July 18, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You Salade Niçoise is not the same as mine (I use black olives, green beans instead of asparagus, tuna — duh this was your whole point, anchovies, hard-cooked eggs instead of deviled, and often, no lettuce; never seen cornichons in one).
But your salad is innovative and beautiful, and I call it Salade Zoomoise.
:)

Thursday, July 18, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Salad Zoomoise- great title. It's the 21st century and we don't have to be bound by food traditions. At least not all the time.

Thursday, July 18, 2013  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Green beans rather than asparagus on a Salade....
And we do have avocados everywhere (but seldom on lettuce)
As to the sweet corn - unless it comes in a can and is put on a pizza it's still pig food...
As to your salad - I'm in.. looks wonderful.

Thursday, July 18, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, always the best!

Cookiecrumb, love the "salade Zoomoise." As always, very clever.

Nancy, fun to kick over the traces now and then.

Katie, funny that corn is still pig food, 50 years later. The headmistress of my French school loved popcorn when we introduced her to it.

Thursday, July 18, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home