Monday, June 24, 2013

Hen Party

Quiche and I are old friends. We are aging well together. I suppose some people would call us both hopelessly outdated, but I'm still having fun trying new fillings and making delicious meals. With a little spinach and avocado salad on the side, they make the perfect lunch.

For my "hen party" - another old fashioned concept, and one we should bring back because they are fun - I set the table with pretty floral placemats and actual napkin rings, and put some hydrangea blossoms from my garden in a crystal pitcher. I used my mother's wedding present china, luncheon size. Does anyone else remember that distinction? I used my grandmother's pressed glass water goblets because they ring so pleasingly when tapped lightly together.

And I made a quiche.  This time, I used Jacques Pépin's recipe for leek quiche rather than Quiche Lorraine, not knowing if one of my guests was a vegetarian. It is a little more work since he makes his own crust and partially blind-bakes it, but it was worth the extra effort - quite delicious. Also, I could make it the day ahead and just reheat it in the oven when I was ready to serve. I always count that as a bonus, since it means I don't have all the work to do on the day of the party.

The girlie party was a bigger success than I had imagined - my guests arrived at noon and didn't leave until four. And, even then, they were still telling stories on the way out. Quiche is fuel for a fine hen party.






6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I can just imagine how your beautifully set table, and special preparations, set the tone for a lovely, lingering afternoon. Inspired!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Thanks, Cutie!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

I would like to be a fly on the wall at that party. BTW real men eat quiche!

Thursday, June 27, 2013  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I don't think I've ever made a quiche...they intimidate me but perhaps they shouldn't. Yours looks divine. And, I like the idea of a "hen party"! Fun!

Friday, June 28, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, we never let guys audit our conversatIons... :-)

Friday, June 28, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, quiche is really surprisingly easy and they do make a nice showing. Try one, you'll see.

Friday, June 28, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home