Thursday, June 6, 2013

You Oughto Try Botto

Funny old Richmond is getting lots of new restaurants lately - and some of them aren't half bad. My Beloved and I have been trying them out, one by one.  The latest to us is Botto, a casual sort of a place in a small strip mall next to a dry cleaners and a CVS pharmacy. If you drove by, you wouldn't stop, but My Beloved does water aerobics with a guy who had tried it and liked it, so we made a point of going in on "fish day," Wednesdays, to give it a whirl.

It's Italian. In fact, it's so Italian that the chef has a little trouble with English. I don't hold that against him, as the man can cook!  When you go in, you give your order at a counter, pay up front, and carry your dishes to your table where you find silverware wrapped in paper napkins waiting for you. No tablecloths, no placemats, just a silently running TV showing soccer matches. If you are hoping for fancy, this is not the right place. But if you are looking for good, reasonable Italian food, have a seat!

The only seafood entrée on our Wednesday night was fettuccine with a small whole lobster tail and shrimps in a very buttery sauce with fresh herbs. The pasta was perfectly al dente and the herbs lent a freshness to an otherwise very rich plate. I have to admit that it was saltier than I care for and a little too rich, but My Beloved inhaled his portion and mopped up the rest of the butter on the plate with his bread. Both were man-sized portions, so I had to leave part of mine - although I didn't leave any of the shrimps or the lobster!

We have eaten there three times now, on fish night and on other nights, and enjoyed each occasion. This is good food, perhaps not great food. However, the combination of reasonable price and pretty darn good cooking will see us back there from time to time when we are in a casual sort of a mood - or when we have dry cleaning to pick up or need something from the drugstore.

Reading that over, it sounds like too tepid a recommendation. We really do think you oughto try Botto. There's nothing wrong with "pretty darn good."

7 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

reasonable price and pretty darn cooking is a winning combination. love the silent TV.

Thursday, June 06, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That looks really nice!
Zoomie, has it occurred to you to bring plastic bags in your purse? You can save the lobster shells and make a lovely fumet at home.
http://ourhomeworks.com/2008/12/07/crab-bisque/

Thursday, June 06, 2013  
Blogger Kailyn said...

I've seen the place when I stop at the nearby cafe. Have always wondered about it. Used to love Salute's but they have been mediocre the last few times I have been there. Glad to hear there is once more something good in the area. Have y'all tried that Brazilian steakhouse in the Point? Haven't been myself and I'm curious.

Thursday, June 06, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, I'd be happy if they just eliminated the TV, but it seems they are here to stay even in restaurants.

Cookiecrumb, it didn't occur to me and they even had complimentary boxes I could have used. Hope I'll remember next time!

Kailyne, Salute has never disappointed us and we've been there many, many times. Give them another chance. I had lunch once at the Brazilian steak house and it was the worst, most expensive lunch I've ever had - all steam table stuff, badly overcooked. On the other hand, the place seems busy at night, so maybe their dinners, which I have not tried, are better? Let me know if you try them and like them.

Thursday, June 06, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I could never eat at a Brazilian steak shop, after seeing Bridesmaids! :)

Thursday, June 06, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookie crumb, I haven't seen that movie, but I'll take your word for it.

Thursday, June 06, 2013  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Thanks for the warning. My high school friends (Go Eagles!) and I are always looking out for new places to try in the Rich -- mostly because they still live there.
Oh. Did have some good dim sum in Pinole recently. Who'd a think it?

Friday, June 07, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home