Monday, May 27, 2013

Cheese Peeves

I'm generally pretty easy going, mainly a happy and optimistic person, but I do have pet peeves.  A couple of them revolve around cheese.  Here comes a rant - skip it if you like.

Peeve #1
I really, really dislike seeing someone cut the point off a wedge of cheese. Didn't anyone ever teach them to keep the point?  Cheese often comes in triangles rather than squares, because it is cut from a larger round of cheese. 

If you cut the point off without finishing the wedge of cheese, the next time it is served, it isn't a graceful triangle, it's an ugly, truncated block.

But, if you cut your serving of cheese down one side or the other, it keeps the point on the cheese so the next time it is served, it looks brand new. Yes, of course it's a small thing - one might even say a petty concern - but it just makes like a little nicer if you do it right. I'm just sayin'.

Peeve #2
If more than one cheese is served with a small knife for each kind, it's nice to use the same knife on the same cheese each time.  Cheeses have all different flavors and sometimes one guest will like one kind and another guest will not - if each has its own knife, end of problem. 

So messy when people just grab whatever knife and carve away, oblivious, smearing the Brie into the Manchego. End cheese and knife pollution - it doesn't improve anything!

Okay, that's it for today's beef. We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.



12 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I hear and obey! Never cut the point off! Yes Mam! And lOL1 You do have a point-idiotic pun intended.

Monday, May 27, 2013  
Anonymous Janie said...

I guess that I have never pondered the dilemna of left-over cheese no longer shaped like a triangle, because I rarely have any cheese left over. I promise to keep this in mind for the future!

Monday, May 27, 2013  
Blogger Diane said...

I concur on both points.

Monday, May 27, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I'm glad I have been of service. :-)

Janie, with Jack in the house, I'm not surprised that you don't have leftover cheese - or leftover anything! :-)

Diane, thank you. Always nice to hear agreement.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

OK, well then, here comes disagreement.
I didn't know there were rules for enjoying a wine and cheese party. Use the knife wrong and you're a boor?
Fortunately, wine and cheese parties are hopeless relics of the 70s.

OTOH, that drawing on the paper towels is really cute. Did you do that, Zooms?

Tuesday, May 28, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, my drawing. I don't think they are rules, exactly, just common sense. I go to an annual cheese tasting party that's lots of fun, relic or no relic.

Greg, ;-) back at ya!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You're a really good artist! Did not know that.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I seem to remember that you are an artist, aren't you? I love to make pictures (usually photographs), but I don't think of myself as an artist. Don't have the patience.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Whatever you did there, it's fresh and bright and... Accurate! Charming.
I used to illustrate textbooks, but I never found a "wrist," an imagination... So I fired myself. :)

Tuesday, May 28, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, May 31, 2013  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

As someone who always serves a cheese course at dinner parties I totally agree with your peeves. Although I only have 2 knives - one for the hard cheeses and another for the soft. I normally only serve one soft cheese so no problem. and, as I serve 3 or 4 cheeses, most of each is leftover (for me to nibble on)

Saturday, June 01, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katiez, it's good to know I'm not the only persnickety one. :-)

Saturday, June 01, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home