Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hamming It Up

The other night, when My Beloved was delayed on business up in the mountains, he called to say he wouldn't be home for dinner after all. I was bummed; I had planned on grilling a tri-tip on the Weber, both as a celebration of his homecoming and as a celebration of all this unseasonably sunny weather that we've been having. No fun grilling for one and the tri-tip could wait, so I searched in the fridge for something easy and quick.

If you're a regular reader here, you know I love Brussels sprouts and My Beloved does not. So, when I saw a big bag of the little green cabbages and a container of pre-chopped pancetta, I knew I could please myself and My Beloved by eating them up. I was in business.

I trimmed and halved the sprouts while the pancetta browned in a wide frying pan, then tossed the sprouts in to mingle with all that hammy goodness. I wanted them to be tender but only just, retaining their bright greens and yellows. They were browning fast, so I added just a sip of water and a cover for a few minutes to soften them a bit more.

The ham added quite a bit of salt, which really worked with the sprouts. The texture of the sprouts was just right and the bibbits of ham added their richness. Pouring them out onto a plate, I dined in solitude, but I dined well.

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Sounds like good food. They look perfectly done.

Thursday, January 19, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Really pretty. Nice photo, too!

Thursday, January 19, 2012  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Brussel sprouts are just a freak of nature. You can hide them with bacon and sugar but they are still nasty. Buzz might of stayed an extra day away to avoid the Brussel sprouts.

Give me a call please.

Thursday, January 19, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Brussels sprouts and pork are a match made in heaven.

Friday, January 20, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, you are kind. I can tell you are holding your nose as you typed that. ;-)

Cookiecrumb, damning with faint praise. :-)

Chilebrown, I knew you would be honest.

Hungry Dog, I keep thinking, "She's my kinda gal."

Friday, January 20, 2012  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I love those green balls, and Mr Brown does not. Excellent dinner choice on your part :)

Saturday, January 21, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms. Mouse, maybe it's a gender thing?

Sunday, January 22, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home