Monday, August 1, 2011

Sparkling

I don't know about you, but I use the energy of impending house guests as motivation for doing the kinds of icky housework I should do on a regular basis but don't always.

A case in point - the reefer. It was pretty empty before the company arrived, so it seemed a good time to clean it out, wash all the shelves and bins and generally cull out the science experiments in the back.

I found all kinds of things I didn't remember I had, like a shallow dish of bacon fat, a jar of clotted cream and two mini bottles of water that we must have stolen from the last hotel we stayed in.

I also found some dark green, squishy, smelly ooze that used to be green beans (I think), a whole lot of light, crisp peels from garlic and onions, and several jars of stuff that had timed out in the middle of last century.

Now, it's sparkling and I'm hoping I can fool the family into thinking it's like that year 'round. Unless, of course, they read this blog, in which case I'm so busted.

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Your post gave me a needed smile this morning. We spent hours yesterday cleaning to host a family birthday party. Who am I fooling? The kids know the place is not usually this sparkling. I too threw out a green bean science experiment.

Monday, August 01, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cranky and used to invite company over when the house needed cleaning, for motivation. Now we don't invite anybody!

Monday, August 01, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, glad it made you smile. Maybe if we mix your experiments with mine, we'll find a cure for some dread disease?

Cookiecrumb, does the company just stop by or is this a new closed-door policy?

Monday, August 01, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, closed door, unless you are willing to wear vision-altering spectacles.

Monday, August 01, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you must just meet them at a restaurant, or at the farmer's market. I know you're not hermits.

Monday, August 01, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I needed my sun glasses to view that sparkling vision. And your secret is safe with me. I am sure that we've all found mystery ooze in the back of the fridge. I like to pretend that it was left by aliens but nobody is fooled.

Monday, August 01, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I'm loving that explanation, myself! It certainly looks as I imagine aliens might, so why not? Thanks!

Monday, August 01, 2011  
Blogger kudzu said...

How did you know that this morning, as I looked for one more disappeared item, I thought, "It's REALLY time to clean this fridge!"

The trouble is that, unlike you, I just closed the door and tried not to think about it.

PS When my kids were little I used to do a "buffet supper" once a week or so, AKA refrigerator food. They loved it that things were in separate dishes to choose from.

Monday, August 01, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, what a great idea your "buffet supper" is! We do that, too - we call it our "pickup meal. All those little dribs and drabs from the fridge seem special when re-presented as something different. But there always seem to be a few forlorn and forgotten items that get their revenge by becoming smelly, mold-dotted bombs.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home