Monday, July 25, 2011

Italian Kick

I seem to be on an Italian kick, probably because I adore Italian food but also because I have a long coil of Italian sausage to use up. We made a boatload of that kind since everyone loves it so much.

I made spaghetti sauce. Nothing unusual, really, except subbing in the spicy Italian sausage for the usual ground round in my recipe. I made a huge batch, part of which we ate one evening for dinner. I froze the rest in two square plastic treasure chests that will emerge later in the year when I don't feel like cooking.

My sauce is easy to make: all you do is sizzle the crumbled sausage meat (I slit the casing to release the contents - probably 1.5 pounds) in olive oil, then add chopped onions, shallots, garlic, mushrooms, a big can of crushed tomatoes, a smaller can of chopped tomatoes, a couple of cups of red wine, three or four bay leaves and a big handful of herbes de Provence. Sometimes, I add black olives and/or artichoke hearts, as well. While that bubbles on a low flame for an hour or two, you are free to do something else.

If you are a person of titanic self control, you can stop there and save the sauce for the next day. It will be even better if you wait. I promise.

In any case, when the sauce has filled your house with irresistible smells, start the pasta water. When the pasta is ready, spoon a little of the sauce into the bottom of your pasta bowl or plate, such that the drained pasta goes into a puddle of sauce before covering it with another big spoonful - you want every bit of that pasta to be coated. Be generous - Italians are.

At table, grate a little fresh Parmesan cheese over the mound and, picking up fork and spoon, twirl your way into spaghetti nirvana.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

The addition of black olives intrigues me.I add black olives when I get a meatball sub so it seems like a perfect addition to meat sauce. Coolio.

Monday, July 25, 2011  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I don't think I would have any self-control at all with that. I have visions of me standing over the pot of sauce with a spoon....

Monday, July 25, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Funny, I feel that I've been on an Italian kick, too. Though not so assertively! Ciao, bella.

Monday, July 25, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I absolutely know that I would have ZERO control - make sauce, slurp from pot. But since I live alone, it would be MINE all MINE MINE MINE.

OK. I'm OK now. Just got carried away.

Monday, July 25, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, my friend Meredith taught me about the black olives years ago and I love that addition.

Katiez, ha-ha! I know you better than that - you are very self disciplined about all things, including spaghetti.

Cookiecrumb, maybe it's because we have both been reading about a certain Brown Mouse in Italy?

Nancy, I was laughing so hard I snorted my soft drink. Youse funny.

Monday, July 25, 2011  
Anonymous Gale said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011  
Anonymous servicii contabile said...

Hmmm this recipe looks so delicious and nice and i think that fits perfect with my taste and in my opinion is a very easy recipe, so i think i will try it. Thanks for sharing.

Thursday, August 04, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home