Monday, July 18, 2011

Spoiled Rotten

I've always counted myself among the luckiest people on earth; I was born in the postwar economic boom in the United States, I had good parents, a good education, dear friends, a fun working life, good health (and good health insurance for the few times I needed it), a happy love life and relative affluence. What more could I ask for? Every now and then, however, I get even more royally spoiled.

This past week was one like that. My Fairy Godson was up from Los Angeles visiting us and My Beloved came along when we went to the little town of Larkspur for lunch and a poke through the shops. I am blessed with menfolk who actually like poking through shops - how many women can make that claim? See what I mean about being lucky?

After a pretty productive shopping trip, we stopped at The Left Bank for lunch. It was warm so we sat in the shade outdoors on their patio with light traffic rumbling by and enjoyed attentive service and, for me, a simply delicious lunch.

At the Left Bank, they have plates of patés and sausages or plates of cheese but if you smile and ask nicely, they will mix and match them. They seemed to be in to spoiling me as well. I chose their country paté, slices of sausage, and a Brillat-Savarin cheese that was absolutely swoony it was so rich and slightly stinky. The waiter brought me plenty of thin, crisp toasts in an immaculate white paper cone and checked back later to make sure I had enough. Plated with a nice grainy mustard and chunky chutney, some cornichons, olives, and radishes, it was perfect - enough to share bites and still satisfy my post-shopping peckishness.

We sat and chatted for quite a while, l'il ol' me, replete and sandwiched between two handsome men. As I said, spoiled rotten.


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

A brilliant way to spend the day.

Monday, July 18, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love Left Bank, though I've had good and less-good experiences there. Your plate of food looks so nice.
But, Zoomie! This is the 21st century. Men like to poke around in shops. You are not in a Donna Reed movie. Archie Bunker is dead.
:D
xx

Monday, July 18, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, it really was a treat!

Cookiecrumb, I will admit here that My Beloved's meal choice was not the best that day but, as you've probably figured out, I don't kvetch about restaurants here. If I can't say something nice, I don't mention them.

And I was raised to be Donna Reed; it's hard to shake.

Monday, July 18, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Come with me, come with me. I will pull you into the future!

Monday, July 18, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, actually, I'm pretty comfortable here. :-)

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Yeah, what Pam said. But I am reminded of the scene in Pearl Buck's Good Earth when the peasants fear that their good fortune will tempt the malice of the gods and start crying "Bad rice, bad rice," to fool them. SO, "Bad rice, bad rice." As for guys who like shopping - the only ones I know are my gay friends and they get annoyed at ME because I get bored with shopping, unless it's for food or books.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I know I tempt fate whenever I talk about my good fortune - always tempted to "knock wood" when I say stuff like that. But, it's the simple truth.

And one of my guys is gay, but the other one likes poking through shops, too. I hate clothes shopping but enjoy looking for treasures.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home