Monday, July 11, 2011

Low Guilt Pie

There I was reading Cookiecrumb's latest tirade against the twin evils of white sugar, refined flour and fat, and I thought, "She's right! Summer fruits, when they are ripe and perfect, don't need the sugar embellishment. Let me try a pie with no sugar whatsoever."

So, I cut up one big peach, two or three nectarines and a small handful of strawberries, seasoned them with nothing but freshly grated nutmeg, and encased them in a Star Dough pastry. The entire prep took about 10 minutes, no more.

Slid it into a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the crust browned and the fruit softened and was artfully tipped here and there in black.

I cut a slice of galette as soon as it emerged from the oven and cooled enough. It did taste fresh but I have to admit that I missed that sweet hit. For me, it was like low-fat cookies, sort of a letdown. I agree with Cookiecrumb that you don't need to embellish fresh fruit but, given that you are going to cook it, I'd say go ahead add a driz of honey or a spoonful of sugar. This galette would have benefitted from just one tablespoon of sugar, adding a hint of sweetness without masking the fresh ripeness of the fruit.

Our strategy is to give at least half of what I bake away to the neighbors, which promotes good neighbor karma while we get a taste of the goodies without the calories of eating the whole thing. I'm going back to Full Guilt Pie - in moderation.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Peaches in dishes do seem to need a little extra sweetness. There is still talk in my family of the first time my father attempted to make peach ice cream. Ugh. So tart. Somehow when they are baked or put in ice cream, the sweetness you tasted when biting into one just disappears.

Monday, July 11, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Good try, anyway. I suspect you missed the sugar because of all the plain pie crust.
Try grilling a peach half, just until you get grill marks. Eat that, all by itself. You won't believe how good it tastes!

Monday, July 11, 2011  
Blogger kudzu said...

A suggestion: follow your intuition and "driz" some honey over it before you eat (for this pie, anyway) in order to save it! Next time, just be chary with the sugar bowl but add enough to make it work.

Monday, July 11, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

If you don't want to use sugar - why not a drizzle of Algave syrup or the Spenda mixture that you can cook with. I've found strawberries and figs that are sweet enough not to need sugar but peaches are often just a bit on the sour side, even when grilled.

Monday, July 11, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, I'm glad for your observation - confirms my decision to add a little sweetness next time.

Cookiecrumb, I know what you mean about grilled peaches - they are wonderful.

Kudzu, that's the takeaway lesson from this attempt - a little sugar can go a long way.

Nancy, I'm not in love with "fake sugars" and agave syrup is as highly processed as white sugar, so I'd probably just use a little sugar since that's what I have in the house.

Monday, July 11, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I've got it.... put some ice cream on top.No sugar in that!?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, you are my kind of guy, no doubt about it! ;-)

Tuesday, July 12, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home