Monday, July 4, 2011

Lettuce Be Thankful

Hamburgers and summer go together. I make burgers all year 'round but, like tomatoes, they just taste better in the summer. We set the table on the deck in the dappled sunshine under our little madrone tree during those lovely warm evenings when the sun won't set for another two hours or so and we just bask in the fresh air and the sounds of children playing up the street.

I thought this time we'd make one of those lettuce wrapped burgers without a bun, since good buns are hard to come by and I had run out of that Acme herb slab bread that I usually substitute for buns. I used soft Boston lettuce, not a good choice - it tasted good but it had little structural integrity and oozed hamburger and tomato juice down our wrists and dropped our sautéed mushrooms out onto the plates until we resorted to the niceties of forks and knives.

Still, one can't but be grateful for beautiful warm summer evenings. Lettuce be thankful for summer weather, for hamburgers and for a bunch of rowdy malcontents who started our country 'way back when.

Happy Independence Day.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

It looks wonderfully messy to me.

Monday, July 04, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Very clever pun! I'm glad that you're happy with the warmer weather and that burger looks divine.

Monday, July 04, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Good eating, huh? I'm sure it was messy, but fun.

Monday, July 04, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, 'twas! Wonderfully.

Nancy, hasn't the sunny weather been a blessing? I know you are a fan of cooler temps, but the sunshine is still so welcome.

Cookiecrumb, super good eating, despite the drips and drizzles.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home