Friday, June 24, 2011

Such A Clod!

When our local farmer's market started carrying organic Paradise Valley Beef, locally raised, certified grassfed and, by the way, delicious, My Beloved and I were thrilled. Apparently, they are doing a good business, too, because they have returned each week while some of our other producers have dropped out.

They will bring specific cuts with them if you call ahead but, being the woman I am, I can rarely get my act together for that. I was looking for a tri-tip (again) but they had run out by the time I got to the market; instead, the young man behind the counter suggested I get a clod.

Okay, that's what I thought, too - "Is this guy being insulting?"

No, it turns out that a clod is not a hard nut of baked earth suitable for beaning one's enemies, it's a cut from the chuck region of the animal (he showed me a map which didn't make me much wiser, frankly, and that's probably just as well). He assured me it would be well marbled and not too chewy despite being a part of the cow's locomotion system, if only I didn't overcook it. Since My Beloved likes his beef still to have a blood pressure and I like medium rare, that seemed doable. It also looked like a good size for a few meals for the two of us, so I pulled out my money and took home the clod, frozen and nicely vacuum sealed for the freezer.

When I thawed it about a week later, I marinated it in the fridge in that marvelous Sartain's Marinade for half a day before grilling over lump charcoal. I remembered that another piece of beef had gotten very tough from, according to that know-it-all Chilebrown, cooking it on too hot a fire. So, this time I lit my coals and let them get very ashy before placing the meat on the grates. I turned it frequently, say every three-four minutes, until the finger poke test said "perfect." We didn't even let the poor thing rest, just carved slices and fell on it like a couple of wolves.

From now on "clod" is going to be a term of endearment for me; the beef was wonderful! It tasted much like a tri-tip but was smaller, so better for just the two of us or for a small dinner party, and had a lovely, tender texture that was lightly marbled but had no big slabs of fat. The Sartain's marinade gave just a little heat to the outer layer and a whole bunch of flavor. The clod is my new go-to cut for a perfect summer barbecue.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Well at least it was not tough. Try an indirect heat sometime. Your barbequing techniques are your own. That is for sure.

Friday, June 24, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

"Uh, I'll have the clod?"
:)

Friday, June 24, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, it was delish! I will try indirect heat for the cross rib roast I bought from the same guy. It's in the freezer now.

Cookiecrumb, uh, okay, sure. ;-) I was tempted to use the term clodhopper somewhere in that piece.

Friday, June 24, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, I already have the clodhopper.

Friday, June 24, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, to whom are you referring? :-)

Saturday, June 25, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

It does have a similar look as tri-tip. I know it may be sacrilegious but Costco has some killer TT..cheap.Beef it's what for dinner ;)

Saturday, June 25, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I know about Costco and I must admit that when I'm serving expensive cuts, I have been known the shop there. :-) The clod, however, is a very inexpensive cut and has the bonus of being locally raised, grass fed and organic. Yeah, baby!

Saturday, June 25, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

I may have to go ask "Clyde" down at the market to fine me a Clod. I'm glad you had enough Marinade to do the job. I'll send some more with the sour starter when Jan comes around, Cheers!

Sunday, June 26, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, we are a capitalist society - giving it away is not the way to make $$. ;-) On the other hand, I always accept gifts graciously, with thanks.

Sunday, June 26, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

Well I have never been rich, but I've always been happy. So I think I'm winning! Cheers, J

Monday, June 27, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, amen to that!

Monday, June 27, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home