Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Good Egg

When I was in high school in Arlington, Virginia my Dad was working at the dreaded Pentagon, his least favorite duty station. While he knew his work there was important, it didn't contain any of the activities he joined the Navy for, such as flying airplanes or sailing in ships, and it was heavy with bureaucratic bullshit. We both used to go off to our days back then with leaden tread, as my opinion of high school was about the same as his of Pentagon duty.

There was a bright spot to most days, however. Breakfast. By that time, my mother had given up making breakfast for either of us, figuring we were independent enough to pour our own cereal or cook the occasional egg. She stayed comfortably in bed while we munched away in companionable early morning silence, he reading the front and sports pages of The Washington Post while I read the comics.

When I was moved to make poached eggs, his favorite, I'd make some for him, as well. There was something intimate and domestic about cooking for someone else, especially my Dad, who was so appreciative; perhaps that's where my love of cooking emerged? The pan steamed, the toast popped, the butter spread and it was ready. I did it often enough that today I can boast I make great poached eggs, perfectly cooked and presented using only one pan, one spatula, one plate, and one knife and fork.

Every morning that I cooked eggs, Dad and I would do this nonsensical little routine. I'd start it by asking with a twinkle, as I cooked:

"Dad, how do you like your eggs?"

and he'd reply, also twinkling,

"I like my eggs"

and I'd say,

"No, no, I mean - how do you like 'em cooked?"

and he'd say,

"Oh, I like 'em cooked!"

Made us chuckle every time. Dad and daughter bonding. Goofy stuff. I'd give anything to be able to go over our routine with him again.

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there. Don't worry that you're not doing enough for your kids - it's the little things they will remember. They know you're a good egg.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kinda Like a Chef said...

Aw, this actually almost made me cry. It's so sweet.

My morning routine was different with my dad. Every morning he'd make eggs and every morning he'd ask me if I wanted some and every morning I'd respond, frustrated, that I hated eggs and of course I didn't want any! Tormented teen and all. I didn't like eggs till I was an adult and now I'd happily eat a fried egg with some veggies as breakfast, lunch and dinner (if my family would let me get away with it!)

Sunday, June 19, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, your dad! Happy father's day. Loved the egg anecdote.

Sunday, June 19, 2011  
Blogger Kitt said...

Man, you're on a roll. Brava.

Sunday, June 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kinda, thanks. Loved your tormented teen story. Amazing what a little growing up will do for one's attitude!

Cookiecrumb, thanks. It's a happy memory.

Kitt, thank you. What a nice thing to say!

Monday, June 20, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

How wonderful to have such a lovely father.

Sunday, June 19, 2016  
Blogger Diane said...

What a great story!!

Monday, June 19, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home