Friday, June 10, 2011

Cross Over The Bridge

Eggs. Pastured eggs. Organic eggs. Colorful pastel eggs. Eggs of several sizes and types. Even duck and turkey eggs. All right here in Point Richmond, up a little dead end street at the Garden Girl Farm. Who knew?

I've been crossing over the bridge for a long time, buying expensive, free range, organic eggs from the Woodlands Market whenever some other errand took me to Marin. They are worth the extra trouble and expense because I have the happy knowledge that the hens lead a more normal life and the eggs are simply delicious. Still, whenever the price of eggs is discussed I try to change the subject, somewhat shamefaced to be so spendthrifty and snooty about my eggs.

Then, last week at the Alley Cats monthly lunch (a gathering of the women on our little street), my neighbor announced that she had met the Garden Girl a few weeks ago and learned that we can purchase fresh eggs right here in Point Richmond. She gave me the contact info and I called right away.

The Garden Girl is the business name for Cassie Dingwall, the proprietor of Garden Girl Farm. She is a dead ringer for a young Mary Travers with super-straight blond hair, killer cheekbones and an athletic, slender frame; her vibe is energetic enthusiasm. Dressed in camo pants, a tee shirt and a baseball cap, she chatters freely about her organic farm and her dedication to it. She says that she and her husband, Scott, haven't gone anywhere in seven years because it's not easy to find someone to care for the rabbits, chickens, ducks and turkeys.

The front yard is a well tended vegetable garden, decorated with a somewhat macabre statue of a vulture, where a flock of baby chicks peck and her cats slink in and out as we get to know each other over egg selection. The back yard contains the bulk of the farm, an area I didn't have time to tour on my first visit, but I will be back.

I selected my dozen eggs from a picturesque basket of multi-hued offerings that were laid that very day by the flock of perhaps 30 hens she keeps on the farm. Blue, green, cream, brown in all sizes from slightly larger than a walnut to jumbo duck eggs perfect for baking. I love the variety of colors and sizes - they don't affect the flavor but the visual surprise every time I open the carton is a simple pleasure.

Needless to say, I'm tickled to find the Garden Girl. Not only do I save the $4 bridge toll, I also save $2 on a dozen eggs; Cassie currently charges $5. If you're over this way, I'd encourage you to call her and make arrangements for a pickup. You might even want to bring home a pet rabbit or some chicken or rabbit poo for your garden, both of which she also sells. Or, you can purchase purebred Royal Palm turkeys, if you have a notion to raise your own Thanksgiving dinner or just have a more unusual pet. Not to mention landscaping services. As I said, her vibe is dynamic.

I'm not crossing over the bridge for eggs any more. More and more, I'm finding everything I need right here. Too bad we can't grow coffee beans or pineapples here, or.... can we?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

I will give it a try. They might go good with some baocn.

Friday, June 10, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

The bridge toll is $4 now? I don't get out much.
What a happy story: the eggs you really want, right from your own almost backyard. Whee!

Friday, June 10, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

cookiecrumb, The East Bay is the hot spot of foodieness. You need to lower the moat and come on over.

Friday, June 10, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Chilebrown: I will give it a try. Let's make a date.

Friday, June 10, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Zoomie, James Brown would say "Bobby! Should I take 'em to the bridge? Take 'em to the bridge? (Go 'head!) hit me now! Come on! Stay on the scene, a-like a sex machine!" ...


Oh man!

Friday, June 10, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Not snooty Zoomie, fussy. You're fussy about eggs and that's a good thing.
We, too, love non-white eggies, they may not actually taste any different but they look wonderful :)

Friday, June 10, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Get on up!

Friday, June 10, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, with bacon, they'd make you shout, "WOW! I feel good!"

Cookiecrumb, yes, expensive trip to Marin, but worth it in the past.

Ms Mouse, after years of opening the carton and seeing identical, industrial eggs I get a kick out of these non-reg ones. And the flavor really is better.

Saturday, June 11, 2011  
Blogger Rachel said...

What a great post! I run in the same urban farming community as Cassie and just recently got the joy of finally meeting her. Congrats on finding your local eggs!

Saturday, June 11, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rachel, fun to hear from you and thanks! It was fun to write and we are loving our local eggs!

Saturday, June 11, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home