Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day Treat

I can hear you now - "Well, duh!" you'll say, or "You didn't know that?" with a voice of incredulity. And you'll shake your head over the fact that a woman can live as long as I have without ever trying raspberry waffles.

Father's Day was a good excuse for a knockout breakfast. We had a family emergency going on - a very, very sick infant grandson - so My Beloved's daughter Katie red-eyed to Boston to help her sister Sarah cope with the anxiety and with our four year old granddaughter. She called My Beloved on the eve of her departure to apologize for missing Father's Day this year and to set a date for a future father-daughter celebration when she returns.

When Father's Day dawned, he had no daughters in town, so I decided to try to fill the gap. I found the perfect Father's Day present - Duck Tape printed with hot rod flames - and made him waffles for breakfast. We had some raspberries in the fridge so I asked if he might like that idea. Got a big thumbs-up, so I dropped a few berries onto the waffle iron before pouring the batter and the scent of hot raspberries that wafted immediately up was a revelation in itself.

We have decided that there is nothing in this world so tasty as waffles with pockets of instant jam made by sizzling raspberries for a few steamy minutes in waffle batter. We slathered on the butter and ladled over the pure maple syrup - we are maximalists - and enjoyed every over-the-top bite.

I know, I know, it's so simple and I'm sure you have tried it eons ago while I was still thinking that the height of waffle pleasure was sour cream in the batter. But maybe you forgot how good it was and this can serve as your reminder. Father's Day may be over for another year but you can still have a treat.

And the good news is that our grandson, we call him the O-man, is doing much, much better. Fingers crossed that he goes home from the hospital this week.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Berries in the waffle....yum zone.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love your description of "jam pockets."

Tuesday, June 21, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

I think berries and waffles go together like peas and carrots. Have you tried sourdough waffles? I have some starter if you want to give it a go.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I'm glad to read that the grandson is doing much better and will be going home.
And I am not going to gloat over you because I've never had raspberry waffles. I thought that the height of waffle decadence was pecan waffles but now I've added another category.

See how you educate me?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, indeed. Get some. You'll be glad you did.

Cookiecrumb, thanks, those pockets were a wonderful surprise.

James, no, but I'm very tempted. I tried to start some sourdough "mother" years ago in NY State but I guess I needed California yeasts - nothing happened in NY. I'd love to have a bit of yours if you can teach me how to foster it.

Nancy, get thee some razzleberries next time you're in a waffle mood - we tried strawberries, too, and they were good but the raspberries were the best by far.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

I will coordinate with Jan to make sure you get what you need.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, okay, but Jan is away for the next few days. No hurry. :-) And thanks!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home