Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fraîchement

Along with my plate of sausage, paté and cheese at The Left Bank came this drink, a watermelon and cucumber "fraîchement" in a tall glass. Although I had never heard the term before, and secretly thought it a little self-consciously frou-frou French, it really did refresh and it's a drink I will try to make at home if the weather ever turns truly summery.

The pink is watermelon, puréed, I suspect, in a blender and the green is cucumber chunks suspended in the pink. Perhaps they added some of the cucumber innards to the purée, because the taste was subtly there amongst the watermelon. There was a very slight fizz to the drink, too, as if it had been blended with some soda water.

Lovely stuff. I'm inspired to try making fruit drinks from all this wonderful summer fruit that is flooding the markets. Even if I don't call them fraîchements.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

As kids, we used to make an cold drink of chunks of watermelon or any kind of melon, whirled in the blender with some sugar and ice. My favorite was Persian melon and these days, I add a sprinkle of rose water for extra flavor/scent. Rose water doesn't have much of a taste but the fragrance - mixed with the fruit - is exquisite. I don't know about cucumbers although I've seen them used in drinks but I can't remember the source.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I think that drink is a Mexican Agua Fresca with a French name. French=MO Money!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

What a beautiful refreshment. Non? I wanna try making it, too. Thanks for sharing this one.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I think that's what they did, except there was no sweetness except from the fruit. I like the rosewater idea, too. I had some simple cucumber water at a wedding recently and it was _very_ nice, but this was even more special.

Greg, well, sorta, but in a day or two if you come back you'll read about the watermelon agua fresca I had in Mill Valley, which was quite a bit sweeter than this.

Cookiecrumb, oui, very beautiful and cooling.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

We often have juice blends with watermelon, pink drinks are lovely and possibly even good for you :)

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

O, Namastenancy, Hendriks Gin is cucumber-y, perhaps you've had that?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Ms. Brown Mousie- no, I don't think it was gin. I haven't drunk gin in recent years after an encounter with a pink lemonade laced with gin. I didn't realize how much gin was in it. It was a hot day and I think I drank 3 (?). It's a blur but what I do remember is feeling like I had the flu for a couple of days. LOL! So, no gin for me. I'm too old, weak and feeble. Sniff...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, welcome home. And I agree about pink drinks - even if they aren't vitamin-charged, the color alone is good for the soul.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home