Friday, July 22, 2011

Hot Lips

Left over from our sausage making venture was some very spicy and very salty Italian sausage. (By the way, I figured out why it turned out so salty - I used regular table salt instead of kosher salt and the grains are smaller, hence they pack closer and add more salt to the mix).

I thought some veggies and some pasta would help to even out the salt and the spice, so I boiled some vermicelli and chopped a bunch of veggies to add to slices of the sausage.

First, I browned the sausage pieces in a little olive oil, then added the chunked veggies - mushrooms, sweet peppers, broccoli, onion, garlic - to the pan to sauté quickly in the sausage juices, then added a couple of tablespoons of the pasta water to stir around and make a quick "sauce" before plating.

It worked! Fast, tasty and economical, it made a lovely dinner with wonderfully summery colors. Not adding any salt to the mix tamed the overly salted sausage. It was still very spicy, but we like having hot lips.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

If it tastes as good as it looks that rocks. Is it me or does your new camera record great color?

Friday, July 22, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, your comment had me going back to look and I do think the recent pictures have a certain liveliness that earlier (old camera) pictures didn't. On the other hand, it might just be the summer light - I take mine without a flash so they are influenced by the ambient light.

Friday, July 22, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's a plate of dinner! I like it.

PS, we don't even have table salt at our house. Just stick to kosher. It's nice.

Friday, July 22, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I'm a salt novice. I don't use it in cooking normally, so don't know how to regulate it well.

Friday, July 22, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, that's right. So for you, the lighter the better. Kosher. To your health!

Friday, July 22, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home