Friday, July 29, 2011

To Market, To Market, To Buy A Fat Pig

Home again, home again
Jiggety-jig.

Kensington Farmer's Market, that is. I heard about a nice farmer's market, Mollie Katzen's favorite, up in the hills above BerkBanyRito, so My Beloved and I went up there to check it out.

And found another reason not to cross bridges for produce. We like the Marin market because it's so large and varied. We like the Berkeley market mostly for the interesting people. We like the Kensington market for three reasons - it's a Sunday market, which makes it a nice spacing from our own Point Richmond market; there is relatively easy parking; and they have good, organic vendors from relatively close by (within 100 miles, anyway).

If you are looking for meats, Marin Sun Farms is there with their pastured meats and they have fresh eggs as well. There's a cheese lady, North Bay Curds & Whey, who makes her own fresh and aged cheese from goat, sheep and cow's milks - she told me she studied at the Vermont Institute for Artisan Cheese and that's credential enough for me. We snagged a wedge. Rumor has it that a chef from Café Rouge is starting his own charcuterie business and will sell at that market, but he either missed coming today or had sold out and folded up his tent by the time we got there.

We chatted with the Hugh from Star Dough who invited us to movie night at his house; bought a cotton flannel baby blanket for our grandson from a woman who calls herself the Harried Housewife (but who looked anything but harried when we met her); and chatted about the weather with a young Asian woman who had cantaloupes of divine fragrance to sell. It's a relatively small market but with lots of interesting booths. We will enjoy many a happy Sunday there, even if the fat pig got away.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Kensington is one market I have not been to. Did you know that R.Crumb lived close by. If it was the sixties, early seventies he might of even shopped here. Thanks for the inspiration and new market destination.

Friday, July 29, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I thought for sure Kensington was in Sonoma County. Looks like a fun market.

Friday, July 29, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

No, Greg, you're confusing it with Kentfield, which is in Marin County. :D
I'm teasing.

Zoomie, what a find! Good vendors, and a storied clientele.

Friday, July 29, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I confess I had to look up R. Crumb but when I saw "Keep on Truckin," I got it.

Greg, it is a good market but a $4 toll for you to visit, unless you're over here on a Sunday anyway. You got kids in the East Bay?

Cookiecrumb, oui, I am most pleased, although I doubt if I would recognize the celebs if I happened to be squeezing peaches next to them.

Friday, July 29, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Pam -I guess you didn't read my piece on Crumb and his latest work on display on San Jose?
And stop with the "how fabulous markets are that aren't in SF."
We know! We know! You don't have the street people, the crazies in Civic Center, the freeloaders in the Ferry Bldg Markets (one vendor told me that he had to stop putting out samples because people would come and eat the whole plate). But you have the goodies, and we have ...local color and street theater.
humph!

Friday, July 29, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Well, R. Crumb lives in France now. You do know what Mollie Katzen looks like? Also, keep an eye out for Mick Jagger; he's got a daughter somewhere over there. Lindsay Lohan's buying a bungalow, too, I hear. Chilebrown is pretty famous; you'll probably run into him.

Friday, July 29, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I love the markets, if you ever visit out this way I'll take you to ours, the one at the end of the street :)

Saturday, July 30, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, actually, I love the SF markets, too. When I worked in the Civic Center, I shopped the Wed market there despite the street people. And the Ferry Building Market is a fave, too, when I'm feeling chi-chi and upscale - I was even given a free pair of pants in front of the Ferry Building one day. http://zoomiestation.blogspot.com/2010/12/boulettes-bingo.html

Cookiecrumb, I looked up Mollie to be prepared and I'd probably recognize Mick Jagger if I saw him, but Lohan? Don't think so. I do recognize Chilebrown when I see him, and the so-lovely Ms Goofy, of course.

Ms Mouse, I will hold you to that promise. How fun that this surge to the farmer's markets is happening worldwide. Why did we ever get away from it in the first place?

Saturday, July 30, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I was lying about Lindsay Lohan! Ha ha. All the rest is true.

Saturday, July 30, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I'm relieved. Didn't want to seem "out of it" by not recognizing a celeb. :-D

Sunday, July 31, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home