Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Eggselent

I cracked open three eggs this morning to make an omelet and literally exclaimed when I saw the difference.

The yolk on the right was the last from my dozen of organic, cage-free, local eggs supplied by a large company in our area. Obviously, they do their best to produce fresh eggs from hens who are given as good a life as large production allows.

The two eggs on the left are from pastured hens who live on another organic farm out to the west of us, also local but very small, Clark Summit Farm in Tomales, CA. Their hens run around all day in the pasture eating whatever yummies they find - bugs, worms and grass - and are offered organic feed and crushed oyster shells to strengthen the eggs' shells. They are sheltered at night in moveable coops for their safety. They are not kept under lights to increase their laying but are allowed to rest during the dark months.

All this produces lovely orange yolks but, color aside, it just feels better to me to know that my eggs come from chickens who live a good chicken life while laying me some lovely eggs. To me, it's worth the $4 trip across the bridge and the higher price to know the care that has gone into producing these delicious eggs.



Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Peter said...

That right there is why I'm making a plan to get some chickens. It's hard to go backwards from pastured eggs.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, be sure to get at least one that lays blue eggs. Just for fun. Opening the package of these eggs was like an Easter basket - all different pastel colors.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I hadn't realized I could get these eggs at Whole Foods. That makes things easy. We usually get our cackleberries from Marin Sun Farms.
What's Peter doing flitting around?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I found mine at the Woodlands Market, my reward for being a good girl at the dentist, who lurks near there.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookie, Peter will have to answer for his own flitting. I'm just glad he shows up here from time to time.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I buy my eggs from a lady who has a booth at the Civic Center Farmer's Market. I hadn't thought about the difference in color but when I looked at my egg for this morning's breakfast, the color was that bright orange and the shells were not brittle thin, the way they are with chain store eggs. I'm behind in my food posts (darn these allergies) but I'm going to add writing about organic eggs to my ever lengthening list.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Pooh, hubz just checked San Rafael WhoFo this morning, and no Clark Summit. I bet they sell out fast. Woodlands is nice! A little overwhelming.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, it would be a very good topic - good eggs are worth all the trouble.

Cookiecrumb, the folks at Woodlands assure me that they never run out of MSF or CSF eggs, so try there. I found them just in front of the butcher's case and would have missed them if the butcher hadn't pointed them out. I don't regularly shop there (I'm not that wealthy!) but as an occasional treat, I enjoy it.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home