Thursday, April 14, 2011

First Try

Like almost everyone I know, I was reading the sandwich issue of Saveur magazine when I came across a reference to a bacon sandwich. They had me from the word "bacon."

In this country, we love a good bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich, but tomato season is months away and this sandwich didn't mention anything from the vegetable kingdom, unless you count the bread.

It seems to be a favorite in England, where it is served in pubs and greasy spoons, often with brown sauce or ketchup added but sometimes, it's just buttered bread and bacon. When I looked for additional references, it seemed to be less like what we call bacon and more like Canadian bacon, quite a bit leaner. I thought immediately of the Comstock bacon sold at Butler Meats in Carson City and wished I had some of that.

Anyway, I bought some Canadian bacon, buttered two halves of a split herbed focaccia slice, grilled them and the bacon briefly, and slapped together a sandwich.

The verdict: Keep Trying. It was too lean to be tasty and needed a smokier, tastier product than the one I bought, which shall remain nameless. I'd also cook the bread in the same pan as the bacon next time, to let it absorb some of that flavor. I will look for some steak sauce to juice it up a bit.

I'll keep trying until I make a really tasty bacon butty; it will be its own reward.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cranky had a couple bacon sarnies in England. He says they look just like your photo. And he says they are boring and NOT ALL THAT.

Thursday, April 14, 2011  
Blogger kudzu said...

This is what my Indian friend calls a bacon butty. She makes hers with thick-cut American bacon which is tasty. Have you tried Irish bacon? The sandwich needs some fat to make it worth eating!

Thursday, April 14, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, hmmm, I wonder why the English love them? Granted, they are not known for their culinary expertise, but still...

Kudzu, I will try the thick-cut bacon and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

Friday, April 15, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home