Monday, April 4, 2011

Feeling Like Spring

Oh, that first really warm spring day!

We had waited far longer than normal around here for that day. Then, after weeks of gray skies and rain, here comes a giddy gift of a day when the sun shone from sunrise to sundown, nonstop! The kind of day when flipflops or sandals are de rigueur.

It's the kind of day when even I, not the world's most dedicated salad lover, makes a salad just to celebrate.

So, here's my grilled lamb salad on romaine lettuce, drizzled with a tart lemony-creamy dressing and showered with an aged Andante dairy goat cheese called Etude. I love the simple tang of this easy-peasy salad dressing and the Etude added a little quiet funk to the whole thing.

The last time we had lamb London broil, I had forgotten that it's a pretty tough cut, so this time I sliced it thinly across the grain after grilling and resting - a good move! The whole salad sang with flavor. I opened every door and window in the house, inviting in the fresh air and sunshine of spring.

Spring Salad Dressing

1 Tbs mayonnaise (I use the stuff in the blue jar)
1/2 lemon, juiced
Freshly ground pepper
A generous grating of Andante Etude aged cheese (or you could use good Parmesan, if you can't find the Etude)

Whisk together the mayo and lemon juice. You can use pepper if you like but the cheese is salty, so hold off on the sodium chloride until you have tasted. Add the cheese to the dressing, or simply grate it over the dressed lettuce.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, it's salad day over our way, too! The human appetite is a veritable calendar, charting our seasonal cravings. (Except for those who only eat meat and potatoes every day. Could name names, but... my dad.)

Monday, April 04, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

Here's to more salad days.

Monday, April 04, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, your Dad is pretty typical of his generation, I think. Hooray for salad weather!

Greg, amen to that! We've been lucky recently - let's keep it up!

Tuesday, April 05, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Dads, strange creatures, though I'll admit mine is very keen on salads, served as a side to meat of course :)
Baaaaa!

Wednesday, April 06, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, my Dad's favorite salad was that wedge of iceberg lettuce, dressed with a generous pour of roquefort dressing. It's one of my guilty pleasures, too.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011  
Blogger Kinda Like a Chef said...

That looks amazing. I wish I could climb through my computer and have some right now.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home