Friday, April 1, 2011

Is There A Doctor In The House?

Our boxed tomato soup was fine the other day since we had lovely hot dogs in baguette buns to go along with it, but facing that same soup, now left over, for lunch again, I thought a little doctoring was in order. I'm always amazed at what improvements just a little fooling around can make. This is essentially the same meal as before, but it felt entirely different.

I still had hot dogs in the fridge so I cut them into rounds and threw them in the pot while the soup heated, and added chopped celery, about a tablespoon of cream cheese and sliced green onion. Stirred all that while it heated and the cream cheese melted, but just 'til hot - I didn't want to cook the veggies, just warm them.

The hot dogs spread their smoky, salty flavor through the soup base and the veggies brightened the texture. For a little panache, I added a celery stick to each bowl as I brought it to the table. My Beloved smiled and asked, "So, is this Bloody Mary soup?" Sure, why not?

Hope you have a fun April Fool's Day!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ha ha! (The video was very funny too.)
Boy, that's a clever husband.
So, see? Next time flavor the tomato soup with celery salt and Worcestershire sauce. Even a smidge of horseradish, if you roll that way.
If you don't do it, I'm going to!

Friday, April 01, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Speaking of tomato's, Would you?, could you?, pick me a 'Black Russian" type of tomato at the Marin tomato sale in two weeks. Ms. Goofy and I are committed to a BBQ judging in Sacatamtoes. I know it is an agressive sale and you should have Buzz block for you, but you have been there before and know what to expect. Thanks.

Friday, April 01, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

CB: You can get nice seedlings at the Civic Center Market, including Russians. I love them. I hate that Master Gardener sale. (Ever tried a Caspian Pink?)

Friday, April 01, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

CC. I refuse to buy any plants from the plant NAZI at Marin Civic Center farmers market. I will tell you the story later. If you buy plants from her you might as well,,,,,,never mind.

Friday, April 01, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

CB: Well, there's more than one plant nazi there, and some aren't, but I get it. Yeek.

Friday, April 01, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I had celery in there already but I'd do the Worcestershire for sure and possibly the horseradish, too. Yes, he's funny - makes me smile.

Chilebrown, I dont think I can - April is crazy for us. But what's the date? I'll check my calendar.

Friday, April 01, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home