Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Grillwich

When we staggered out of the DOG event, filled to our brims with great Dutch oven food, Chilebrown pressed us to take along a big hunk of his Jalapeño Cheese Bread. At the time, I was sure I could never eat again, but I took it to be polite.

Two days later, my appetite had recovered nicely and I was eyeing that bread, wondering if it reheats well. A quick email to The Master - he suggested making grilled sandwiches. We had leftover chicken in the fridge, so it was the work of a moment to construct a masterpiece.

So, this is just to alert you. If you make that bread, and you'd be crazy not to, use the leftovers for grillwiches. The cheese melts out of the little pockets in the bread, oozing onto the hot grill to become crusty, crisp flavor-enhancers while the jalapeños add gentle spice to the whole. A plain old chicken sandwich becomes something else entirely, something with a hint of warmer climates and sunny skies, where people in colorful clothes flirt from behind black lace fans. If you think I'm being too fanciful, try it yourself and get back to me. Olé, baby!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

I remember it a little differently. If I did not give you the left over cheese bread you were going to bonk me with your purse.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

CB: I think she sneaked it out in her purse! Robber.

Zoomie, you notice how sandwichy it is lately? We keep eating them chez nous, and the new Saveur arrived today with a cover story on sandwiches. I guess we're hip.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I knew it - Zoomie has hidden tendencies toward violence! But seriously, if I saw that bread and didn't get any to take home, I might be tempted myself. I made a jalapeno/cheese corn bread that also heats up well. There's an bread (can't remember the brand) that also has cheese in it. I heat it up in my old iron grill pan,put on my cheese or meat from last night's dinner and chow down. But you sure can't beat home baked bread. I don't blame you for the hold up.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have a George Foreman Grill (doesn't everyone), they make great grilled sandwiches. You even get the grill marks.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

More sandwiches! Man that looks so good.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, no bonking was threatened and you know it.

Cookiecrumb, don't listen to CB - he's full of jalapeño cheese bread! And, yes, we're hip. Always have been.

Nancy, et tu, Brute? Your corn bread sounds fabu - you gonna post that soon?

Tulsamom, sadly, no GF grill here, just an aging Jennair that I use when I want stripes.

Greg, it was so good, I still can taste it.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011  
Anonymous Peter said...

Grilled sandwiches got me through this winter.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, welcome back, son. All is forgiven.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home