Sunday, March 13, 2011

On Top Of Spaghetti

When I was a bus-riding school kid, sometimes we would burst into song, usually on the way home - kids are like that. Typically, the song was some silly ditty about the number of bottles of beer on the wall (counting down from 100 - drove the bus drivers to drink) but occasionally, it was this, sung to the tune of "On Top Of Old Smokey":

On top of spaghetti
All covered with cheese
I lost my poor meatball
When somebody sneezed.

Now, I find that some enterprising soul has actually put the whole of the lyrics on the web. I don't think I knew all the words until now.

Anyway, I was reminded of that song the other night when I made spaghetti and, finding that my ParmReg had grown a fine crop of fuzz, decided to substitute ricotta salata instead. It was good, salty but good. It won't replace ParmReg in our universe but it made a nice change of pace and it brought back a silly memory and a smile - spaghetti is like that.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Thank you for this public service. Now, I will never look at a meatball the same way again.

Sunday, March 13, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, you should experiment with cheeses. Grana Padano is a fine substitute, and I like the idea of your ricotta salata. Just never, never the green can. :P

Sunday, March 13, 2011  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

One can find anything and everything on the web.... Kind of takes they mystery out, doesn't it. I never knew all the words, either!

Sunday, March 13, 2011  
Blogger Kailyn said...

I will never get that song out of my head now.

Sunday, March 13, 2011  
Blogger Zoie @ TouchstoneZ said...

Okay, this is going to ruin my diet, but I'm adding you to my Google Reader so I can keep updated.

Have you ever posted about or shared how you take such great food photos?

Sunday, March 13, 2011  
Anonymous Janie said...

We still sing that song with the preschoolers...and I know all the words!!!

Sunday, March 13, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Oooo that green can stuff, that turned me of all cheese for about 25 years!

Monday, March 14, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, you're ever so welcome! :-)

Cookiecrumb, I promise, never, ever the green can. I think that is cheese-like food, anyway, not really cheese.

Katiez, actually, the nuns used to keep me in line by promising that I'd know the answers to all my questions when I got to heaven. Powerful incentive. Google is almost as good.

Kailyn, it has been ringing in my ears for a few days, too.

Zoie, no, I never felt my photos were much to brag about. But, since you're curious, I use a five year old Canon PowerShot SD800 IS, digital elph. It has a 3.8 zoom lens and 7.1 megapixels. Which is all cameraspeak for a pocket point-and-shoot camera. It has a closeup setting and I use that for most of my food photos. My photos take about a minute to line up and, typically, I don't take more than one shot. Thanks for asking.

Janie, I've always said that you are a marvel.

Ms Mouse, yes, nasty. Takes like belly button lint smells. Ugh.

Monday, March 14, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

generic ativan online ativan breastfeeding - ativan and addiction

Tuesday, November 13, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

generic zolpidem ambien cr alternatives - what does generic ambien cr look like

Tuesday, November 13, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

valium 10mg valium for anxiety about flying - taking valium high blood pressure

Tuesday, November 13, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

order ativan is it legal to buy ativan online - withdrawal 2mg ativan

Tuesday, November 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home