Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Avocado Heaven

When we went to Fresno to meet our friend Jeanne, we took her packages of nuts from Valley Pistachio, the shop we call Pistachio Heaven. We discovered Pistachio Heaven several years ago on a different trip to Fresno (we call it Fres-yes) and have stopped there ever since. They advertise with large signs along the freeway that count down the miles to their store, an old fashioned marketing gimmick that still delights me.

It's one of those shops that typify for me the best of American commerce. The pistachios are grown right near by, they package their own and the varieties and flavors increase every time we go - they are always trying out something new. The shop is immaculate and so is the little garden outside. They are friendly folk who share stories of their lives with us. They never fail to give Cora a pat as she waits patiently for us, tied to the front porch railing.

They are happy to ship nuts around the country, too, so we usually take a minute to choose some of their mixed varieties to send to friends or family back east. My Dad used to love getting his pistachios as a surprise. This time, we noted that they have expanded to a small winery on the property, too. They are enterprising people.

Anyway, this is what Jeanne brought us in return - heavenly avocados from her mother's tree in southern California. Fuertes, the very best. As much as we enjoy Pistachio Heaven, we know that we got the best end of that deal!


Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Next to Asparagus, avocado is my favorite green food.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I am a sucker for roadside stands. Those are beautiful avocados.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's downright charming. The swappage of local food, good stuff, too!
How on earth did you know about fuertes? My dad had about 20 trees in the backyard. They are the best.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

(I realize my local comment sounds dumb. I meant the food came from a place you know and love.)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

I remember while I was growing up every 2 years my folks would load us up and off we would go to Mississippi via Rt.66 (as far as we could). Along the way there were signs telling us that "Jackrabbit" was only 500 miles to go, 400 miles, etc, some of these signs were on the top of messas way off the road. Americana you gotta love it, though most of it has gone by the way side...

Tuesday, March 15, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I used some of these to make the guacamole that we brought to the DOG.

Greg, me, too. Luckily, My Beloved is happy to stop and see what's new.

Cookiecrumb, you taught me about Fuertes, some time back.

Cookiecrumb, both kinds were local until we used gas to transport them.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, are you old enough to recall the Burma-Shave ads? I used to love those.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

A lot of the billboards were running stories, Burma Shave, Texaco, Jackrabbit, and the other tourist traps. They helped pass the time.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011  
Blogger Fresyes said...

It seems I have lots in common with you...

I'm a big fan of Valley Pistachio, so many good things...yum! When I visit them I also stop by CRU Wine Company for a bottle or two (usually that evening its fruit, nuts, cheese, and CRU).

My favorite part of your post was the mention of Fres-YES :)

Cheers, Jason

Friday, March 18, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, I don't remember those others, just the Burma Shave. Americana from 'way back!

Jason, welcome! Just found your comment and I thank you for your visit. Have fun in Fres-YES!

Sunday, March 20, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home