Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fancypants Pasta

Along with cousin Jan, My Beloved and I attended the March meeting of the Homegrown Marin market. We wandered around the transformed fencing school and tried almost everything there from chocolates so rich and spiced that they sang on the tongue to kimchee (my first ever) and lamb sausage sliders. The invitation said to come hungry and we took them at their word.

I brought home a few things from that foray - the chocolates, of course, and Jan bought some cupcakes, but the most expensive item I bought was handmade Baia pasta. The nice guy with the Italian accent who sold it said that they call it "vines." Made from Durum wheat, it's a little different in color than the usual store-bought kind. It's S-shaped in cross section, all the better to capture the flavorings in those long, bendy grooves.

We bubbled it up the other night and topped it with kale sautéed with green garlic (note to self: next time, much more green garlic) as I still had a craving for that left over from the last time I made kale. We grated small, snowy hillocks of ricotta salata over it at the table and enjoyed every bite. Once again, no meat was needed - the filling pasta, satisfying kale and salty cheese were plenty.

We enjoyed our culinary explorations at Homegrown Marin. They are having another event in April. Maybe we'll see you there.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I will have to check the place out.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Looks really pretty.
Baia, hm? I had never heard of them, and it turns out their penetration in the general marketplace is so limited!
That little market you visited... I wouldn't pay to go in, probably. Sigh! Not because I can't afford it, but because I don't pay to shop. I'll bet it has a real start-up sort of buzz to it, which is nice and I wish them well, but. Nah.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011  
Blogger Kinda Like a Chef said...

Oh yum!! Sounds like such a fun trip! If I were closer I'd totally go to something like that!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Isn't all pasta made from durum wheat? All the other kinds are too soft, I thought *off to google*.

Thursday, March 24, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I think you can download a coupon that will get you $1 off the $5 admission price. We enjoyed it.

Cookiecrumb, all these vendors are very small businesses, just nascent, so they have virtually no "market penetration." I don't think they can even afford to come to farmer's markets as they can't afford a stall.

Kinda, there might be such markets in your area, too - clicky the link to ours and email them to see if they know of similar ventures down south.

Ms Mouse, maybe it's not the wheat but the method? In any case, it looks different initially than pasta I buy in the store. Cooks up whitish, however, and tastes pretty much the same to my untutored tongue.

Thursday, March 24, 2011  
Blogger Kinda Like a Chef said...

Yes, they definitely have things like that around here. I think it's great to support small businesses and local farms. Certainly worth the $5. :)

Thursday, March 24, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kinda, I'm with you - let's support the small and the local! Yay!

Friday, March 25, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home