Saturday, April 2, 2011

Colorific

What do you do with about a cup of leftover wild rice and 3/4 of 1/4 of a pound of ground pork? Planned overs from two subsequent meals. Whenever I have disparate leftovers, I think of stir fry, since a little of this and a dab of that are what makes a really good stir fry.

Rather than reserve the rice as substrate for the rest, I decided to incorporate it right into the dish, so now it seemed more like fried rice than stir fry, and that's fine with me.

So, here's my latest fried rice version, very colorful and chunky with mushroom slices, broccoli florets, purple cabbage ribbons, beaten egg shreds, carrot ovals, diagonals of green onion, sautéed ground pork with ginger and that nutty, wonderful wild rice, drizzled with just a hint of soy sauce and speckled with a little black pepper.

Quickly sautéed with a modicum of canola oil, it went together fast and retained the beautiful colors. Bumpy, chewy, crunchy and soft, the textures for me were the highlights of the plate. That's one happy pile of goodies!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Colorful,healthy no waste. Excellent!

Saturday, April 02, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stir fries are so great for leftovers.... Er, I mean fried rice is perfect for planned overs.
Whatever, looks gorgeous - I love dishes with crunch!

Saturday, April 02, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's a glorious plate of food. You need to get a bottle of sesame oil.

Saturday, April 02, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

BTW, you are now responsible for TWO food memes: goozle, and planned overs. XX

Saturday, April 02, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, it had it all!

Katie, me, too - the more "mouth feel" the better.

Cookiecrumb, would I have used the sesame oil for garnish or for frying? I used canola.

Cookiecrumb, I must give credit where it's due - my mother coined both of those.

Sunday, April 03, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Use sesame oil as a finishing flavor, at the end, while it's still in the wok. Just a couple of drops. Canola is fine for frying.
And by all means, take credit for launching those memes!

Sunday, April 03, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home