Monday, April 11, 2011

Motor Loaf

Whenever I go to the California Palace of the Legion of Honor (gotta love that name!), I like to stop for lunch around the corner at Tal-y-Tara, a wonderfully quirky little tea and polo (yes, polo) shop that serves good tea and coffee, the best scones on the planet and a terrific little lunch for two that they call their "motor loaf."

They take a miniature loaf of wonderful brown bread, carve slices out of the middle, fill them with all sorts of goodies, then wrap and insert the little sandwiches back into the loaf. When I went there this past week with cousin Jan, we not only shared a motor loaf, I also bought another loaf to bring home.

My Beloved had to wait for his lunch the next day, as I was inspired to make lots of little sammies with all different fillings as they did, only I sliced the whole loaf and piled our finger sandwiches onto the tiered plate that Jan gave us.

Because I had a whole bunch of small planned overs in the fridge and because I cut the bread very thinly, I was able to make lots of different flavors for my variety-loving guy - egg and olive, ham and Swiss with Dijon mustard, corned beef with Dijon mustard, cheddar and chutney, cheddar and Swiss, smoked salmon with Greek yogurt, turkey with cranberry. Each had a distinctive flavor and texture - there was no choosing a favorite. Well, maybe the egg and olive?

Anyway, if you get out that way, don't miss Tal-y-Tara. If you don't need a purple polo helmet with tiny mirrors sewn around the hatband (my personal fave), you will at least love the scones with Devonshire cream or the motor loaf.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

The idea of afternoon tea seems so civilized.

Monday, April 11, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a great idea! I remember having high tea at some posh hotel the last time I was in London but their high tea was far less interesting than your magnificent spread. Next week, I'm going to preview the Lod Mosaic at the Legion and I will take my guest to tea at the place you recommend. We can combine art, history and civilized food in a day's outing!

Monday, April 11, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That would make me feel like a little girl having a party with my dolls. Such fun. (Killer sandwich choices, BTW.)

Monday, April 11, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, the motor loaf is too much for afternoon tea - you'd never need dinner! But it's perfect for lunch for two.

Nancy, You'll like the place - it's not so much refined as it is cosy. Enjoy.

Cookiecrumb, sometimes the presentation is half the fun, don't you think? Makes it special when it's really just sandwiches for lunch (again!).

Monday, April 11, 2011  
Anonymous Katie said...

We used little canape bread, 2" square and make lots of little sandwiches for picnics. I'd forgotten... Always loved that - but ours were never quite so elegant....

Tuesday, April 12, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katie, it's the plate that makes the elegance. Kinda fun to dress lunch up from time to time.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011  
Blogger Unknown said...


Als trailers have a wide range of collection of used Highway trailer RVs Highway trailer RVs in Oregon. Visit our website for more range of collections of all models of RVs.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home