Monday, February 14, 2011

Hoaloha*

My mother had a dear friend in Hawaii, a Kauai-born girl with whom Mom traded recipes, jewelry and art work. I would come for a visit and find a new painting on the walls and Mom would say, "Oh, yes, I traded that one with Karin for the ___." Same with jewelry each admired on the other, or good meals they shared.

When my mother died, Karin was wonderfully consoling to me and every time I visited the Islands I made a point of seeing her once or twice, just to tap into her serenity and spirituality. She was an amazing and lovely person. I will never forget her.

When I worked at Hastings College of the Law, her grandson enrolled as a student and stopped in to my office to say hello. Ever since, I have loved this kid. He has his grandmother's artistic bent - he won the Hastings pumpkin decorating contest every year at Hallowe'en - and his own cheerfully outrageous outlook, unusual in a law student. They tend to be earnest while he is joyous.

Imagine my delight when I spotted him staffing the alumni booth at the Punahou Carnival. He gave me a big hug, as delighted as I was to make connections, and we "talked story" for a few minutes between sales. Because he designed the flying avocado on the logo tshirt they were selling to raise money, of course I had to buy one. A fun memento of an encounter that made the carnival even more delightful for me.

*Hoaloha = beloved friend

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Are you sure you aren't working for the Hawaiian Tourist Board? Every post is a hymn of praise - beautifully written, full of lovely photos and gorgeous people (men!). I love it!

Monday, February 14, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, nope, no kickback on this one. It's just my favorite place on earth and family visits with the Island Hylands are always a pleasure.

Monday, February 14, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home