Friday, February 4, 2011

Polynesian Paralysis

I have been struggling for almost a week now with a mighty case of Polynesian paralysis, that condition that strikes malihinis (newcomers) here in Hawaii. The urge to get things accomplished today wanes, the warm weather and languid breezes sap one's energy and whole days seem to float by with little in the way of progress.

I'm giving in.

Instead of the usual "what we are eating today" posts, I'm going to fall back on pretty pictures or pictures that typify Island life to me. Pictures that show the Aloha spirit, or maybe pictures that just amuse me. Like this one.

We were driving out to the beach (10 minutes from where we are staying) when we spied this on the back window of a minivan. We followed the people to their grocery store destination and parked close to them so we could sneak a picture of their humor. Several cars and trucks around here have similar signs on them, but they are truly in memory of a lost loved one - rather sobering. But this one just made us smile on our way to wade in the warm water.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Very funny. I'd say it's a yuppie copting of a cultural identifier... but there's that Harley decal! (Wait. Yuppies like Harleys.)

Friday, February 04, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

meant coopting. co-opt.

Friday, February 04, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun. Have you been surfing yet? Great coffee and pineapple for you I bet. Has Buzz been wearing a leigh the whole time? I think you both shoud get a tattoo just for the heck of it. It should have pineapples with the caption Polynesian Paralysis!!!!!!!!!

Friday, February 04, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I didn't meet the people so I can't say.

Chilebrown, No tats and no surfing so far. Stand by!

Friday, February 04, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home