Saturday, January 29, 2011

Nutty Nuttiness

Having bought more slivered almonds to make Christmas cookies than I am likely to use up in a lifetime, I'm on the lookout ways for to use them. First the snapper from a few nights ago; it used a nice handful but I still have a lot left. Onward!

When My Beloved brought home a boatload of fresh Brussels sprouts, I thought perhaps some of those almonds, nicely toasted, would be good with butter-steamed sprouts, too.

All I did was cautiously toast another generous handful of almonds in a dry pan over medium heat, set them aside, quarter the sprouts with a sharp knife, braise them slowly in the same pan with melted butter and about a tablespoon of water until the water evaporated and left the sprouts and the butter to gently brown together. Sprinkled on the almonds and served.

It was two kinds of nutty. The gently cooked sprouts brought their nuttiness to the dish and, obviously, so did the almonds. The texture contrast was interesting and fun, the colors toned together beautifully and the taste was lovely and mellow with just a flick of the bitter as an aftertaste. I loved 'em. He, while not exactly loving them, agreed that it's a good preparation for a vegetable he's not overly fond of. There's a certain lovable nuttiness in a guy who brings home as a present for his wife a huge supply of a veggie he doesn't really like. No wonder I'm nuts about the guy.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

He really is a prince and the world would be a much better place if he could be cloned! But back to almonds - do you have Claudia Roden's cookbook on Middle Eastern food? She has a great recipe for saffron chicken with chickpeas and almonds. If you are interested I can send you the recipe. Also, lots of Middle Eastern stuffing recipes call for almonds along with a variety of dried fruits and some sort of grain - I have used wild rice, brown rice, Bulgar and couscous. You could even use bread crumbs. Also, you and use almonds sauteed in butter and poured over sole - yummy.
brought to you by Nancy, art, recipes and opinions on call.

Saturday, January 29, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I don't think almonds would tempt Mr Brown over to the sprouts, not even bacon and cream does that :(

Saturday, January 29, 2011  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Ah, veggies as presents - love it! They're are one of mon mari's favorites.... If I ever get through the last of my butternut squash in the cellar I'll buy some. Note to self: don't plant so much next year!
Love the almonds... I think nuts go well with everything!

Sunday, January 30, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, you are truly a Renaissance woman! You have my mouth watering at 0700!

Ms Mouse, you're right, if bacon and cream can't convince him, nothing will.

Katiez, the butternut will hold a while longer - go get some sprouts for your hard-working honeybun!

Sunday, January 30, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home