Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fabu Franks

Now, you know I love*love*love hot dogs. I think that tube steak is God's gift to humanity, one of the best foods in the world.

Okay, so that disqualifies me as a food snob. So what?

I've probably consumed my weight in hot dogs in my lifetime but never before have I taken a bite and stopped short with my eyes popped open. That's exactly what happened when I took my first bite of a Coleman natural uncured beef hot dog. I can state categorically that, among packaged hot dogs (as opposed to fresh sausages in the butcher's case), these are the best I have ever tasted and, believe me, I've tasted my share.

I have struggled to describe what is so compelling about these dogs. They aren't bigger or saltier or anythinger than other hot dogs, except they are better. Faintly smoky in taste (but not overwhelmingly fake-smoky like some barbecue sauces), lightly salty, nicely meaty - it's not really the parts, you see, it's the sum, and the balance. They don't lend themselves to analysis, just to enjoyment. These are some truly fabu franks.


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

If you still have the meat pounder, how can I say this without a groan from cookiecrumb, hear goes, I could use it the next time I have a meat pounding session. Aren't steak buttons like political buttons. You wear them on your lapel?
My favorite local Franks are from 4505 Meats located at the Ferry Plaza.

Sunday, January 23, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, we still have it and you are welcome to it. I also thought of you for the steak buttons (little thermometers for steaks) and the french fry cutter. Shall we meet at Catahoula one day so I can bring you your items? :-)

Sunday, January 23, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Sure, I stop by Catahoula's every Thursday on the way to work or I have Friday's off.

Sunday, January 23, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I too love a good hot dog. Some favorites are Schwartz, Casper's and Miller.Always up to new choices.

Sunday, January 23, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Don't encourage him, Zoomie! He'll be pounding his meat all the time! Poor Ms. Goofy.

(You know you set me up for it, CB.)

:D

Sunday, January 23, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I can easily imagine you with a button on your lapel that says, simply, STEAK. Thanks for the tip on the 4505 franks - next time I'm at the Ferry building, I'll try some. And the pounder is yours.

Greg, okay, some more choices to try! I'm going to be in hot dog heaven with all these tips!

Cookiecrumb, he may have set you up, but you took the bait! :-)

Monday, January 24, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home