Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tea-smoked duck

Here's my sad little duck, done to a fare-thee-well in my jury-rigged stovetop smoker. He's smoked, alright. Look at those sad little legs!

Actually, I think I overdid it, although I followed the recipe closely. The skin has a bitter, burned flavor and the meat has none of the luscious texture of the tea-smoked duck I enjoyed at Harmony. The color is similar but the taste and texture are quite different. It's certainly smoky but so would a simple barbecued chicken have been - and it would have had more moisture left.

The loose tea I used was not what was recommended in the recipe - perhaps that made a difference.

Nonetheless, I'm peeling off the skin and using the meat in different dishes - a stir fry the first night, a salad the second night - and I might freeze some to try in other dishes once my initial embarrassment and disappointment have faded a little. It's not bad, just not worth all the rigamarole it took to produce it.

Stick a fork in him, Mama, he's done!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs to find the prince.

Saturday, January 15, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I would be proud of myself for just trying, Zoomie.

Saturday, January 15, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

We all have made mistakes in our cooking journey. Smoking has certain rules that are not always spelled out in recipes.

Saturday, January 15, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

And so we learn from your mistake - just think of all the good you've done and tempers you've saved :)

Saturday, January 15, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, oh, I have the prince - My Beloved. :-)

Cookiecrumb, well, thanks. You're sweet.

Chilebrown, I need to take lessons from you - have you considered a third career as a smoking instructor?

Ms Mouse, now that's a nice way to look at it. I feel better.

Sunday, January 16, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home