Sunday, January 9, 2011

M-m-m-m-m-assa

Okay, this is clearly my week for ugly food photos. How did the rice, that m-m-m-m-m-marvelous M-m-m-m-assa rice, turn a sickly green in the picture when it was a lovely golden color in real life?

And the leftover lamb looks pretty gross, too. I promise, we didn't eat all that fat.

We did eat the lamb, however, as a roast the first night and then with a rice pilatto the second night.

To achieve this meld between a pilaf and a risotto, I first browned a couple of cups of coarsely chopped mushrooms in butter, then added garlic and onion, lemon juice, rice and chicken stock. I didn't ladle the chicken stock in a bit at a time, I just poured it in after sautéeing the rest and let it simmer for the hour it takes to cook Massa rice. For the last few minutes, I laid our slices of roast lamb on top of the rice to warm (the photo was taken halfway through that process) and served them together with a side of sugar snap peas.

Chalk the green rice up to weird winter lighting but don't skip the dish - it was a perfect winter dinner, sustaining and warming and rich. That Massa rice is m-m-m-m-magic.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Good eats! This is probably more comment than you expected. Download Picasa from Google. It is free and user friendly.It will load all the photos on your puter and allow you to correct things like color temperature and just about everything. It also will let you download directly to your blog after you "tune" your photo. Easy peasey!

Sunday, January 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hi, Greg, thanks for the tip. Interestingly, Cookiecrumb wrote to me yesterday about this exact same program. I will look into it as soon as I get the skunk smell out of my dog.

Sunday, January 09, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

How cool! Great minds, and all. (Greg!)
Zoomie, I just tried Picasa on your picture, and I was able to get a golden color to the rice but I lost some detail in the meat. It's not like PhotoShop. But it's loads of fun to try.
Pilatto? Did you invent that, because I love it. I love seasoned, gooey rice.

Sunday, January 09, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

PS: Did Cora get skunked on a walk? You witnessed? How horrible. I was able to deskunk one of my dogs -- twice -- with mere dog shampoo. Don't know why I was so lucky.

Sunday, January 09, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Am now feeling quite glad we don't have cute little skunks in Australia - ick, poor Cora!

Sunday, January 09, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: Ah. Guessing you don't know exactly the stench of skunk. It's fierce. Gaseous. Eye-stinging.

Sunday, January 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, pilatto. Haven't tried Picasa yet since I've spent the morning de-skunking Cora, but thanks for the tip.

Ms Mouse, I'm wondering if Cora will learn from this experience, or be just as avid at chasing them next time...

Sunday, January 09, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home