Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Goin' Steady

Fist bump!

My Beloved's sister, she who finds Christmas treasures from the past for us each year, sent him this item along with the purple plates - his prep school class ring. 1964.

He asked me to go steady. Isn't that cute?

It's a little too big for even my biggest finger, but isn't that always how it was? The girls would wrap the shank of the ring in wool yarn to size it, or wear it on a chain around their necks.

Do kids today still go steady? Do they text their girlfriends immediately to spread the news? I'm sure the thrilling emotions don't change, but perhaps the expression of those feelings does.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

You have me in way back machine. The first girl I went steady with lost the ring.Needless to say the relationship did not last. Today I think they declare relationships on Facebook. Ah the cyber world.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011  
Anonymous Janie said...

I think I once used the term "going steady" with Jodie, and got laughed at.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I remember that social scene. The girls got "pinned" and announced it to the world and then, wore that ring like a badge of achievement. Other times, other manners. I always want to go "steady" with some guy but I got over it - such are the rewards of maturity!

Tuesday, January 04, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

School rings aren't a thing here but we all watched American movies and thought them delightful - going steady, I've no idea if kids do that today, I hear they 'hook-up'. Still, I'm sure there's still a few, young, hopless romantics out there, somewhere.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, for me, it was the 'way, 'way back machine!

Janie, ouch! Once Jodie meets Mr. Right, she'll want to "go steady," too.

Nancy, you're right - in some way it was actually considered an achievement. My, how things have changed!

Ms Mouse, my youngest friends (college age) inform me that they don't "date." They all go around as a group and couples "hook up," as you say, without giving each other rings or stuff. I'll bet they tweet their friends, however! :-)

Wednesday, January 05, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home