Saturday, January 1, 2011

Meals On Wheels

On the way home from doing errands, I stopped at the local gas station to fill up just before lunchtime. I stuck the nozzle in my car and stood there idly contemplating my lunch options. I thought about staying down in the village for lunch since My Beloved was on the road that day but I neglected to bring anything to read. I remembered that we have some cold cuts in the fridge but I've been cold cutted to death this holiday season so I wasn't in the mood.

There is a food truck parked frequently just outside my gas station. I have eaten from a "roach coach" before but only in Hawaii where they are a feature of beach life. I wondered if this one would be any good. As I was mindlessly tending my gas pump, I started reading the hand-lettered signs on it and was intrigued. "El Agricultor" - The Farmer. That seemed promising. Based in Berkeley, so probably not too risky. The truck seemed clean and well tended - what the heck!

I made my choice - Plato de Carnitas - and approached the window. Big, wide smile inside. Like the Cheshire cat, the rest of the face was invisible in the dark interior. I ordered and the big smile repeated the words in English to make sure I understood. I asked for black beans but, sorry, only pinto beans available. Okay, no problem. To go? Yes, please.

Cora, who joyously rides anywhere in a car, approved immediately of the scents wafting out of the bag. When I got it home, I opened the styro clamshell to reveal a hefty portion of roasted pork, pinto refritos, Spanish rice, tortilla chips, hot rolled corn tortillas in foil and a small salad, all neatly packed into the sectioned plate.

It was good. It was not spectacular but it was solidly good. A workingman's lunch. I'm no longer working, so it was enough for two days, at least. The pork was moist and flavored with grilled onions. I love Spanish rice - consistently appealing. The refritos were okay but perhaps a tad on the gluey side. Never mind, it was a couple of lunches for $7. A bargain, what with that big smile.




Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

So nice to have that option. Glad you chose well.
(Did you see my subhead yesterday?!!!)

Saturday, January 01, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, I noted that after posting this. Loved your "truck food."

Saturday, January 01, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home