Sunday, January 2, 2011

Family Day

I've never seen a Purple Cow,
I never hope to see one,
But I can tell you anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.

I learned that little rhyme from my father, who delighted in rhymes and limericks and in children's books that rhymed. He had a rhyming sense of humor.

We got these purple plates from My Beloved's sister, who sent them to us for Christmas. She finds amazing and wonderful presents in the attic each year. Their father, a dear and lovable man now gone to heaven, graduated from Williams College and, ever after, donated to them each year. Their mascot is the Purple Cow. The plates have scenes of Williams College buildings on them. I'm pretty sure these dinner plates were Williams' way of saying thank you to him for his generosity.

Because the Christmas season is what it is, they arrived on New Year's Eve, literally just in time to use on my dinner table that evening. I had such fun setting that table! From the table up: machine washable lace matts from my 'eighties Victorian period, my trousseau silver, the purple plates, my mother's gold-and-white china soup bowls, purple napkins I bought probably 10 years ago and china napkin rings I found this year while poking through shops in Point Reyes with our dear friend Sari - we think of her as a daughter. Out of the frame are Steuben water glasses my sister got for a wedding present but then gave to me when she downsized her house and wine glasses that were a wedding present from My Beloved's brother.

When you sit down to dinner with all those family mementos resonating around you, you can't but have a Happy New Year's Eve dinner, can you? Reminds me how fortunate I am to have a family that isn't close in geography but is always close by.


7 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Funny, when you have luck you can see a purple cow in advertising in Germany. A famous chocolate does their ads with a purple cow.
http://www.milka.de/milka2/page?PagecRef=698

Sunday, January 02, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I always thought a purple cow was grape juice and vanilla ice cream. A good family should be treasured.

Sunday, January 02, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a lovely memory and a delightful use of "purple cows." I remember singing that rhyme as a child and wondering why I never saw any purple cows. Now I know - they all went into your families purple memorabilia

Sunday, January 02, 2011  
Anonymous Janie said...

Wow, I haven't thought of that particular rhyme in years, but my mother used to recite it to me and I think later to Jodie. Thanks for the memory. The table looks lovely, and such fun to put all those memories together. Happy New Year!

Sunday, January 02, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Beautiful setting, Zoomie. And to think you already HAD purple napkins! Hee.

Sunday, January 02, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Suffering serious plate envy here, and soup bowl envy too. You have such lovely, lovely things :)

Sunday, January 02, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Lily, welcome. I followed your link and laughed at the Purple Cow.

Greg, now there's an interesting combination! Do they swirl in the grape juice or mix it thoroughly until it becomes lavender in color?

Nancy, I suspect that little rhyme was concocted by a rival college to Williams around football season - what do you think?

Janie, Happy New Year to you two, as well! It was a fun evening and we even made it to midnight to watch the fireworks.

Cookiecrumb, probably 20 years ago, I bought two sets of "rainbow" napkins, each a different color, and I have used and used them ever since on almost every table I set. The purple ones come from those two sets.

Ms Mouse, thank you! I mix and match every time I set a fancypants table and it's amazing the combinations I can come up with.

Monday, January 03, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home