Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Clay Pot Initiation

Because I admire Cookiecrumb and she admires clay pot cooking, when I saw Clay Pot Pork on the menu at Harmony, I decided to try it. We were ordering for the table, and it's a good thing, as I probably could not have finished this all by myself.

The pork has a sweet-and-sour-barbecue sort of sauce with veggies tucked underneath in a rustic pot with a big hollow handle. Big, meaty mushrooms, bright carrots, baby bok choy - it's really enough for at least two and we shared it amongst four people happily.

As an initiation to clay pot cooking, it was a good beginning. I can see how everything in the pot shares flavor and there's something appealing about the pot itself. I imagine that when people first started more refined cooking, more than charred a leg of gnu or shoulder of eland, they put things into a clay pot over a fire and discovered that the flavors enhanced each other when cooked together.

I wish I had cabinet space for all the kitchen gadgets my heart desires; if I did, I'd have a clay pot in a New York minute.

4 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oho! I thought you had gone and bought a cute one for yourself. (You could get a Suncast storage shed for the deck; keep "blog-worthy" dishes in it.)

Hey, wait. I though eland WAS gnu.

That was fun to read.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Oh, I "SO" hear you on the kitchen gadget lust. Some people go shoe shopping; I go kitchenware shopping and art and books..but that's another matter. When I visited Filoli last year, what I loved the most were the kitchens and pantry. They had three huge spaces, including a separate pantry for pastry.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, a gnu is the same as a wildebeest but different from an eland. I have a nice big storage closet in the house but I've already filled it in just 13 years.

Nancy, imagine having that much space! Of course, they probably had 13 cooks, each with her/his own favorite gadgets, to fill it up. :-)

Thursday, January 06, 2011  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Wouldn't that be lovely - to have enough space for all the gadgets... And then enough time to use them all!
I'm still coveting that pressure cooker LOL

Friday, January 07, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home