Sunday, January 16, 2011

Caveman's Delight

While I was tea-smoking my duck, I decided to tuck a small package of spare ribs alongside the duck in the smoker, since daughter Sarah had mentioned at Harmony that she had tried those once and enjoyed them. I mean, if you're going to that much trouble, why not get the biggest bang for your buck, right?

What spare ribs and duck have in common, I think, is the rich, unctuous meat that takes well to long cooking.

Here are my spareribs, also overdone but better than the duck was. Believe it or not, I didn't just chuck them into the fire like a caveman. I used all the same techniques but the spareribs had a little more fat in the meat so they came closer to the rich texture I enjoyed in the Harmony version.

Sadly, the outside had nearly as much bitter flavor as my sad little black duck had, but the inside was closer to the ideal. Still, if I had it all to do again, I'd simply go back to Harmony and avoid all the hassle. My poor kitchen still smells like a caveman's fire.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Toons said...

Well I'm afraid you might have lost on the first rule of smoking- low and slow. If you can't find a big enough pot then your work is cut out for you. Trying to find the lowest heat that will still smoke and maintaining it is, well I would hate to have to do it!
Better luck next time, cheers.

Monday, January 17, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, thank you for the encouraging words but all future smoking will be done outdoors and, preferably by those who know what they are doing! :-)

Monday, January 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home