Monday, January 24, 2011

Tokens Of Friendship

I have written often about the neighbors who live on my little street. We have only about ten homes on the street, but each houses a pretty nice family.

We have block parties, movie nights, casual chats in the middle of the street and everyone feels they can borrow a cup of sugar or a snip of herbs from anyone else, secure in the knowledge that some of the cookies or a slice of the quiche being baked will show up on a paper plate on their doorstep the next day. On nice days, front doors are open so kids and dogs come and go freely. We have monthly "hen parties" at local restaurants for the women on the street - even the ones still working take time off to join us. In short, I can't imagine having nicer neighbors and better relations with them all.

But, every now and then, one of them goes over the top to make me thank my lucky stars all over again. Remember back in November when I invited the two little girls over to make cookies and have a tea party? They thanked me over and over in person and their mother sent me a charming email to thank me again, all very nice. Then, yesterday, I awoke from my usual afternoon snooze to find an amaryllis bulb kit on my front steps, decorated with these lovely china measuring spoons. The accompanying note explained that time had flown away (it happens when you have two lively little girls and a big shaggy dog and a sweet husband) and that they had meant to offer these gifts for Christmas, then New Year's and, now, Happy Sunny Day.

I will hang the spoons as decoration in my kitchen, start the amaryllis on its climb to red-flowered glory and cherish these sweet tokens of friendship.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Charming. What an enchanted block!
I love the spoons. You could cover a wall with interesting measuring spoons! (Wink.)

Monday, January 24, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, we have been fortunate! If I did that with the spoons, however, wouldn't I have to dust them? I'm not in love with dusting.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Use hooks to hang them, and toss them in the dishwasher when they get dusty.
You're welcome.
;)

Tuesday, January 25, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home