Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Presents From Afar

This is a little can of coffee that our pal Sari brought us from Paris the last time she went. I have to admit that I forgot about it until about a week ago when I was cleaning out a cupboard and there it was. I started using it right away and it really does bring a taste of France to our breakfasts, minus the Gauloise cigarettes and the diesel exhaust. Lovely.

I'm not writing to brag about my friends nor to describe to you a coffee but rather to note that if you are going on vacation, it's nice to bring a taste of where you went back to the friends who have missed you while you were away. Macadamia nuts from Hawaii, chocolates from Belgium, a packet of spices from India, sea salt from Maine - they are usually inexpensive, they don't take up much room in one's luggage and they make a welcome gift, even for older folks who don't need any more tchotchkes. I'll keep this in mind as we are planning a vacay to Hawaii to visit my little brother.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Peter said...

I want a coffee so badly right now but C is sleeping so I can't run the grinder until she hets up.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Macadamias, we can get here. How about crack seed? Li Hing Mui. Da kine.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, I hope she woke up before you went into withdrawal.

Cookiecrumb, I'd always wish for malasadas, too, but they are no good the next day. Your ideas are ono!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

We need to learn how to make malasadas.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011  
Anonymous Meredith said...

Alas, no Manoa Love Nest. When will you be there? Punahou Carnival is first weekend in February (Fri/Sat) and they have the best malassadas ever! And if you want the recipe, I have it. BTW, they aren't too bad the next day if you put them in the freezer and then zap in the micro for 30 secs.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, good idea!

Meredith, I'd love the recipe - and I'll remember the tip about the malasadas! I might check out the Punahou carnival if there is time.

Thursday, January 27, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home