Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Malasadas

The local story is that Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu Avenue in Honolulu makes the best malasadas on the island and that may be true - we plan to check theirs out later in our stay - but these, made from the recipe of a Punahou alumna of Portuguese heritage, were available at the Punahou Carnival, so we just had to try them.

My friend Meredith, who is a kamaaina (a person born and raised in Hawaii) and a Punahou alumna who has seen many of these carnivals, sent me the inside scoop via email, since she has recently moved to the Mainland. She told me which line would move fastest, so we got our malasadas within minutes.

Hot out of the frying oil and liberally sprinkled with sugar, they are similar to doughnuts, if doughnuts were made in Heaven. They are yeasty, a little greasy and very sweet. Dunked into a cup of coffee, it's hard to imagine anything better. The bitter coffee tempers the sugar and the sugar tempers the bitter coffee. Our second night at the Punahou carnival, we ate dessert first, sitting on metal bleachers, happily dunking and watching the parade of cheerful carnival goers.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I think you are in heaven - every post is a delightful tribute to Hawaii and it's food and people. I looked at those "malasadas" and I would smell the hot dough, sugar and coffee from the mainland. Now, I want donuts! You have raised unrealistic expectations!

Wednesday, February 09, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

Donuts!!!

Wednesday, February 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, some day, you simply must come. When you do, consult me and I'll show you the best spots I've found over many years. And the Honolulu Academy of Arts is not a huge museum but it's an amazingly charming one.

Greg, yes, donuts! I'm going down into Kailua town tomorrow to Agnes' to get another malasada. The word on the street is that they are quite good. Stand by for a report.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

Are you STILL in Hawaii?

I will be going in May and would appreciate your foodie tips for Oahu!!

Wednesday, February 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Emp, yes, we are here until the 14th. So far, no foodie tips to give - we have mostly eaten at home, as the rest of the clan is working/schooling, so it helps if I cook dinner. You sister will know the good spots in her neighborhood, for sure.

Thursday, February 10, 2011  
Anonymous Meredith said...

Haven't had a Leonard's in years; just not worth the calories. Punahou is by far the best; Agnes and Champion the best of the rest.

Friday, February 11, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Meredith, I did prefer the Punahou to the Agnes' that I had later in the week. Never heard of Champion but that may have to wait until next visit.

Saturday, February 12, 2011  
Blogger jumelager said...

Punahou's malasadas are tied in my mind with Leonard's. Both are incredible and reading your posts has made me very homesick!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Jumelager, we tried Leonards on our last day and they are quite different from the Punahou Carnival ones. My Beloved prefers Leonards - my money's on the Punahou carnival ones. However, we recently got a lead on Champion, another bakery near Punahou, so the search for the perfect malasada will continue next time we go home. Ain't life grand?

Tuesday, February 15, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home